Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

irnm8dn
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Refreshing Data from Sharepoint

I am moving a .csv file to a Sharepoint location multiuple times daily.  I would like to connect PowerBI to the Sharepoint location as a reference for a schedule refresh.

Does anyone know if the data source is coming a Sharepoint location, if it requires a personal gateway?

I would like very much not needing to have my computer "online" for the refresh to succeed.

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
Thejeswar
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @irnm8dn,

Yes you can have your data in Sharepoint.

The Need is You should have access to that location and then a gateway (Personal or Enterprise) is needed for it to be refreshed using Schedule Refresh.

If you are connecting directly from Service to Sharepoint, you don't require a gateway. But if you are connecting from PBI Desktop to Sharepoint, you will need a gateway to schedule refresh the report

@Thejeswar @Anonymous

So I successfully connected PBI to Sharepoint.  Unfortunately, the connection for Refresh is through my personal gatewat - EXACTLY what I DIDN'T want.

What can I do to ensure this refreshes without my computer needing to be online?  What questions can I answer about the setup?

Gatway.JPG

Hi @irnm8dn,

Unfortunately you can't do much about refreshing your report when your system is turned off.

Here the machine where the gateway runs (in this case, your system) acts as a server that will help maintain connectivity between your report and Database Data. So when you turn-off your machine, it is like turning-off your gateway. So the connection between your Database and Power BI Service also breaks failing your refresh. If this is the only issue, just install your personal gateway in a different machine and run your reporrts using that machine. Still here again that machine should always be turned on.

But as per your image, it can be understood that your report is expecting some parameters for it to successfully refresh. Are you specifying some input parameter to your report?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @irnm8dn,

You can connect to a SharePoint list, online list and folder with Power BI. All you need is credentials to the SharePoint site where the folder is located.

sharepoint.PNG

A scheduled refresh from SharePoint happens even if your computer isn't on.

Br,

T

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.