Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

KarenL7
Advocate II
Advocate II

Refreshable Token for Power Bi Desktop

Hi

I have seen a lot of posts on here for this - and have been trying a number of them to get this working in PowerBIDesktop.  So far only one seems to be working in my report - FYI I used this post 

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Refreshable-Token-for-Admin-Rest-API/m-p/3150421/page/2

This is the query

let

//get token

url = "https://login.microsoftonline.com/45c92590-ccc6-46f9-80ff-9fc8d9edde39/oauth2/token",

GetJson =

Web.Contents(

url,

[

Headers = [

Accept = "application/json",

ContentType = "application/x-www-form-urlencoded"

],

Content =

Text.ToBinary(

"grant_type=client_credentials&

client_id=****************************

client_secret=******************************************

)

]

),

token = Json.Document(GetJson)[access_token],

//other api usage wiht above token

Result =

Web.Contents(

"https://api.powerbi.com/v1.0/myorg/",

[

Headers = [

#"Content-Type" = "application/json",

Authorization = "Bearer " & token,

RelativePath = "admin/groups?$top=2000&$expand=datasets,dataflows,reports,dashboards,users"

]

]

)

This is the error that I am getting

KarenL7_0-1679656963236.png

If there is anything anyone can suggest?

I did ask on the other post but I have a different error now and the post may be too old for an answer?

Thanks

Karen

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @KarenL7 ,

When using organizational account authentication in Power BI Desktop, it requires Azure Active Directory (AAD) account and credential.

Another way is to use basic authentication and enter personal access token in Power BI Desktop when connecting to VSTS. For more details, please review the following article and similar thread.

Client authentication options - Azure DevOps | Microsoft Learn

Solved: Access to the Resource is Forbidden - Microsoft Power BI Community

Expression.Error: Access to the Resource is Forbidden: Fix (windowsreport.com)

Best Regards
Community Support Team _ Polly

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @KarenL7 ,

When using organizational account authentication in Power BI Desktop, it requires Azure Active Directory (AAD) account and credential.

Another way is to use basic authentication and enter personal access token in Power BI Desktop when connecting to VSTS. For more details, please review the following article and similar thread.

Client authentication options - Azure DevOps | Microsoft Learn

Solved: Access to the Resource is Forbidden - Microsoft Power BI Community

Expression.Error: Access to the Resource is Forbidden: Fix (windowsreport.com)

Best Regards
Community Support Team _ Polly

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-rongtiep-msft 

We have looked into this further  - after my posts below - and noted that your statement - 

We looked into this and noted that although we were bringing back the token correctly- as said in my posts - the resource was forbidden and we were struggling with it.

We then noticed when we added in another token in manually it was totally different and it worked.  This was using the admin account.  This goes back to what you said in your post

"When using organizational account authentication in Power BI Desktop, it requires Azure Active Directory (AAD) account and credential."

We are going to look into this further, thanks for your help.

Karen

Hi @v-rongtiep-msft 

Thanks for this.

I have a question I have about your post is

"When using organizational account authentication in Power BI Desktop, it requires Azure Active Directory (AAD) account and credential."

When we registered the app we created this for a service principal account  is this reason it is not working?

So it will retrieve a token correctly but the token will not work so the resource is forbidden as the service principal account is not an Azure directory account and credential.

How can we change that?

I am unsure about the other links you have sent as I do not have access to Azure and need someone else to do the set up.

Thanks

Karen

KarenL7
Advocate II
Advocate II

Further to my post above -  I have now found out the following -

When using this had the error message -

KarenL7_1-1679661572730.png

I requested the access token elsewhere using different credentials and put it directly into my query to see if I could get any results and it worked straight away.

My question now is -

I can retrieve the token directly without any issues.

I have put this in a function which I call from another query

It then errors saying it is forbidden when trying to access a specific API website.

However using my admin credentials and not the ones that client app id etc. and add in the token directly the query works correctly.

Are there some permission issues that we need to change for this to work?

Thanks

Karen

Helpful resources

Announcements
Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.