Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

simp
Helper I
Helper I

Refresh takes a long time

Hello,

I am connecting to excel file in my LAN,

But it takes a long time to get the data,

The excel file contains 11 sheet, 12 named range, and 7 table format (and each table only less than 100 rows)

Some cells in table contain data validation connected to named range list,

I think what make it takes so long is because Power BI try to read all sheet, named range and table,

Anyway my connection is only for some table and excel named range,

How to tell PBI to read only specific area so i can get the data in much shorter time?

This is an example of the query for data source:

Source = Excel.Workbook(File.Contents("\\xx.xx.xx.xx\FolderName\FileName.xlsx"), null, true),
xyz = Source{[Name="SheetName"]}[Data],

9 REPLIES 9
shakeelsyed
Helper I
Helper I

Hi Team,

similar kind of issues I am facing while updating/refreshing tables from ODBC connections, it’s almost taking more than 2hours to update a simple query and there is another system with same configuration which my team mate  is using at the moment which will take less than 2min to run the same query.

I have tried uninstalling/installing Power bi Desktop, ODBC connection strings, Data gateways but none of that was helpful.

Any clue on how can I improve the performance.

Below are the configuration details and I am using PostgreSQL.

Untitled.pngUntitled2.png

shakeelsyed
Helper I
Helper I

Hi Team,

similar kind of issues I am facing while updating/refreshing tables from ODBC connections, it’s almost taking more than 2hours to update a simple query and there is another system with same configuration which my team mate  is using at the moment which will take less than 2min to run the same query.

I have tried uninstalling/installing Power bi Desktop, ODBC connection strings, Data gateways but none of that was helpful.

Untitled.pngUntitled2.png

shakeelsyed
Helper I
Helper I

Hi Team,

v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @simp,

Actually, when connecting to an Excel file from Power BI desktop, if the excel file contains multiple worksheets and multiple table formats, we can select those necessary tables or sheet that we need. Please see below image:

1.PNG

Regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-yulgu-msft,

What i mean is after we click Refresh to the query (Home > Refresh),

In the popup box we can see it is evaluating, waiting, etc

It loops to all of them (Sheets, tables, named ranges) which is unnecessary because i dont use all of them

Hi @simp,

So, you only want to update some certain tables when clicking on refresh button, instead of updating all data records imported from Excel, right?

If so, you can disable query refesh for some unnecessary queries so that they won't be refreshed together with others.

Query editor -> right click the unnecessary query -> select properties -> uncheck the 'Include in report refresh' option.

1.PNG

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello @v-yulgu-msft,

If you see the refresh box, you will see:

Evaluating...

Waiting for Other Queries...

Create connection to...

Waiting for xxx

9 rows from xxx

etc

For: Waiting for and x rows from... 

The Power BI read all of Sheets, Tables and Named Ranges include that we dont use in queries...

Untitled.png

Hi @simp,

Below is the screenshot when I refresh data models, the table 'Sheet2' that I have disabled its refresh is not included.

1.PNG

Regards,
Yuliana Gu

Hi @v-yulgu-msft,

Sorry but this is not about my queries that i dont want to run,

I am asking why Power BI looping through all sheets, tables and named ranges in my excel file (data source) that i dont want to transform (See in Refresh box)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.