Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Michieldo
Helper III
Helper III

Refresh succeeds but no new data, refresh in desktop necessary

Hi all,

I have a yet unexplainable situation where the data in Power BI Service refreshes (status completed), but some of the tables don't refresh. The only solution so far is to download the .pbix and refresh manually in desktop and publish to the server again.

The weird part: I obtain the data through a data connector which is almost the same for 2 tables. One of the tables refreshes in the service, but the other doesn't. To give a sense of how the data is obtained, I use the following SOAP call within Query Editor:

let 
Source = Xml.Tables(Web.Contents(""& URL &"",[Content=Text.ToBinary("<soapenv:Envelope xmlns:soapenv="&Character.FromNumber(34)&"http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/"&Character.FromNumber(34)&" xmlns:urn="&Character.FromNumber(34)&"urn:Afas.Profit.Services"&Character.FromNumber(34)&">
<soapenv:Header/>
<soapenv:Body>
<urn:GetDataWithOptions>
<urn:token>
<![CDATA["& Token &"]]>
</urn:token>
<urn:connectorId>"& Article &"</urn:connectorId>
<urn:options>
<![CDATA[ <Options><Outputmode>1</Outputmode><Metadata>0</Metadata><Skip>0</Skip><Take>20000</Take><Index><Field FieldId='date' OperatorType='0'/></Index></Options> ]]>
</urn:options>
</urn:GetDataWithOptions>
</soapenv:Body>
</soapenv:Envelope>"),Headers=[#"Content-Type"="text/xml;charset=UTF-8"]])),

For the other table that works, everything is the same except for the connectorId which refers to a different table in the source.

Does anyone know why it could be the case that I have to refresh in Desktop for this table and how to resolve this? Can it be a caching problem of some kind?

Any kind would be highly appreciated!

10 REPLIES 10
v-janeyg-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Michieldo  Any updates?

Hi @v-janeyg-msft , 

Unfortunately not, same problem occurs. 

To answer your previous questions:
- Yes, I have refreshed in the service
- Yes, there is actually new data
- All syntax seems good, it works fine is desktop

Best,
Michiel

Hi, @Michieldo 

Can you show me the screenshot of refresh history in powerbi service dateset>>setting?

Hi @v-janeyg-msft ,

This has status 'completed' with no message.

@Michieldo  Have you tried to republish the report? Is the data source in the cloud or local?

@v-janeyg-msft , yes have republished it multiple times. The source is AFAS (cloud accounting software) through their SOAP API.

Hi, @Michieldo 

Do you need to enter credential information?

Hi @v-janeyg-msft ,

No, I don't. As provided in the code above, I insert the API token and use 'anonymus' as the credential settings. 

The strange thing is that it already works for a different table through the same API call. 

Hi, @Michieldo

Your question is a bit tricky, it may not be solved in the forum. If you have a pro license, you can open a support ticket for better handling. Support | Microsoft Power BI

Best Regards

Janey Guo

v-janeyg-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Michieldo 

I'm sorry that since the function of calling soap is not common, I can't reproduce your scene. I can only consider from other aspects.

When the dataset is refreshed successfully, have you refreshed the report or browser in the service? If you open the report first, there may be a cache. Are you sure that the data in the source data has changed, and there is no change after refreshing? Check if the connection information is written wrong but the syntax is correct, so the table is not actually refreshed.

Here is a tutorial for reference:

Calling SOAP API in Power BI (Read XML Web Service data) | ZappySys Blog

Best Regards

Janey Guo

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.