Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

hermesgoddess
Frequent Visitor

Refresh on SharePoint Source Folder Doesn't Expand Table

I am not sure if I titles this right and I am not sure how to ask the question properly. So I'm just going to explain what is happening & hope someone can help me out. 

I have a Source Folder in Sharepoint. I have a good number of CSV files in there and just finished building out a Power BI Report connected to the Sharepoint folder. I connect to the folder. Let BI do its magic (after I tell it to Combine files & Edit). I go in to the Query Editor and add a step right after Source to filer to just the files I need (there are actualy 6 source folders, but there is a little bug right now that BI can only see the root folder & not the individual Shared Documents Folders). OK. Everythign wroks fine all of my source CVS files are now combined into a wonderful single Query Table Thing. 

I add new files every day to these folder on Sharepoint. My data in each file represents "yesterday's" advertising data. 

Now, I have a new file in my source folder. I refresh the data in BI and nothing happens to the visuals. I check the query. My new data, dated yesterday is not there. I check up a few steps in the Action Steps, it's still not there. I go back to the Source step and the source FILE is listed there. So. I go through step by step to see where it disappears. Souce, new file is there. Filterd Rows (my step that I added to keep this query only with the files I need), source file still there. Invoke Custom Function1, source file still there. Renamed Columns1, source file still there. Removed Other COlumns1, source file still there. Expand Table Column1, source file still there, but all columns just read NULL. WHAT? I have 2200+ rows of data in this CVS. Where is it all?

This only happens with 2 of my queries. My remaining 4 work perfectly fine. I follow all of the same steps in all of them (that I can tell). What could possibly be happening here. These two particular queries did not refresh successfully after the initial query was built. All "new" files that have been added to the Sharepoint show up in Expand Table Column as null except for the source column. 

Any help is appreciated. I really hope I don't need to rebuild these connections. 

(I am a relative newbie to Power BI. I have been using it for about a year, but I tinker until I can get it to do what I need it to do. I do not know any database languages. I have seen solutions to other issues reference Advanced M Queries and to me that is trying to read a foreign language. I can follow though if the steps are explained very well). 

1 REPLY 1
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @hermesgoddess,

I test on my side, but I can't reproduce your issue, can you provide more detail contents about this?

>>This only happens with 2 of my queries. 

According to your description, the issue only appears on two specify files, right?

I'd like to suggest you check if your data contains specific characters or format as wrong type.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.