Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

lmcdermottinwk

Refresh keeps freezing

Hi 

I am trying to refresh my PBI desktop. The source data is saved on One Drive and I update it each month, normally it pulls into BI quickly once I click the refresh button. However this month I am gettting a screen "Apply query changes" as if it's refreshing but it appears to be frozen on this page and not updating the info .  The souce data does contain alot of info and last onth I did have similar probelm but it did update eventually, this month I am not getting anywhere with it. 

Any else come across this problem before? Is it possible my source sheets has too many rows of data?

thanks 

Laura

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
V-lianl-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @lmcdermottinwk ,

Since there weren't any error messages, maybe there is a timeout occurred.

Have you apply any advanced operation in query editor?(e.g merge, append, reference other steps, invoke custom functions...) . If that is a case, they will cause the looping calculation and duplicate cost on memory resource, You can refer to following links: Referenced Queries And Caching In Power BI And Power Query

How and When to use List & Table Buffer?

You can also try to increase the cache limits.

1. Click Settings->Options->Global->Data Load to expose the "Data Cache Management Options".

2. Try increasing the Maximum allowed (MB):to 16000 (or about double what the current setting is)

test_options.PNG

Best Regards,

Liang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickl

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
V-lianl-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @lmcdermottinwk ,

Since there weren't any error messages, maybe there is a timeout occurred.

Have you apply any advanced operation in query editor?(e.g merge, append, reference other steps, invoke custom functions...) . If that is a case, they will cause the looping calculation and duplicate cost on memory resource, You can refer to following links: Referenced Queries And Caching In Power BI And Power Query

How and When to use List & Table Buffer?

You can also try to increase the cache limits.

1. Click Settings->Options->Global->Data Load to expose the "Data Cache Management Options".

2. Try increasing the Maximum allowed (MB):to 16000 (or about double what the current setting is)

test_options.PNG

Best Regards,

Liang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickl

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.