Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MotiLezarovitz
Frequent Visitor

Refresh from within PBI Desktop getting stuck on Creating Connection in Model

Hello.

My problem is in a single report file, in an import mode.

I've separated the measures into different tables. 

The refresh for the SQL tables goes fine. But when refreshing the measures tables, I get a "Creating Connection in Model," and the process gets stuck for hours. The only way to stop it is to kill it via the task manager. In the portal, the report refreshed just fine.

The problem occurs even if I refresh just the measure table alone.

desktop, refresh, measures 

6 REPLIES 6
GavinR

I too have this problem, sometimes it goes through, sometimes it gets stuck and I have to kill the session. Its being happening since the latest upgrade to BI. My dataset hasn't changed  materially and is very frustrating

alifazal
Helper I
Helper I

i have a simililar issue with the same message im pulling from a data base and powerbi has suddenly decided to stop showing me the number rows being loaded. nonethelss does the job but now only tells me Creating Connection in Model instead of showing me the rows that are being loaded which it did before.. Not sure what has changed ive attempted to go into my setting and uncheck the necessary time intelligence with some of the other boxes suggested, however this cant be a real solution it has to be something else becuase it was working just fine 

alifazal
Helper I
Helper I

i have a simililar issue with the same message im pulling from a data base and powerbi has suddenly decided to stop showing me the number rows being loaded. nonethelss does the job but now only tells me Creating Connection in Model instead of showing me the rows that are being loaded which it did before.. Not sure what has changed ive attempted to go into my setting and uncheck the necessary time intelligence with some of the other boxes suggested, however this cant be a real solution it has to be something else becuase it was working just fine 

Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @MotiLezarovitz ,

But when refreshing the measures tables, I get a "Creating Connection in Model," and the process gets stuck for hours. The only way to stop it is to kill it via the task manager. In the portal, the report refreshed just fine.

The problem occurs even if I refresh just the measure table alone.

To my understand, your measures may need data from several tables, not just one. So refreshing measure table only may call a lot of resources.

In addition, what is the approximate amount of data used?

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

MotiLezarovitz
Frequent Visitor

Hi.

the measure table was created in the following way:

in the ribbon  > Home > enter data > named the table as "key measures" > updated the table with 1 column named "1"

> built 1 measure > deleted column "1".

A little correction - I tried to refresh one of the SQL tables, the refresh seemed to be working fine, but it loaded all the lines and stayed "stuck" in that mode where it shows all the lines loaded and won't continue to the report with the refreshed table.

when I'm trying to refresh everything. 

the loading screen comes up, all the SQL tables are loading, the all the measure tables are stuck at "creating connection......" 

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@MotiLezarovitz how you created this measure table? How about if you just click refresh in power bi desktop, not for a specific table but all the tables, what happens?

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.