Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Refresh error: "...contains duplicate value...and this is not allowed for columns on the one side.."

Hello

I'm having an issue refreshing my data and get the following error:

".....contains a duplicate value....and this is not allowed for columns on the one side of a many-to-one relationship or for columns that are used as the primary key of a table."

I understand that the message refers to duplicates in the data, which is correct, the data does contain duplicate reference numbers. This data however is a list of payments made this financial year so some are multiple payments on different dates against the same reference number.

Is there a way to stop this error occurring? The end result is me being able to chart when payments are made, but the 'reference numbers' are also used for other charts.

Oh and i'm definitely no expert at Power BI so it would be grealty appreciated that any responses are worded as simply as possible 😃

Thank you in advance!

Dan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey, i managed to fix the issue in Relationships by changing the Cardinality to 'Many to One'. 

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
RSquared

The confusing piece was that under "Modeling" > "Manage Relationships" none of the relations offended the "Many to 1" constraint.

Solution only came through the "Model View" icon on the very left of the screen:
ReportDataModel.jpg

In contrast to the "Manage Relationships" screen it showed relations that were removed or disabled.

So, additionally removing these unused relations from the "Model View" made it work.

wonyango
Regular Visitor

Another way I used to solve the error was to uncheck the "Autodetect new relationships when data is loaded." 

Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

The Table you are drawing a reference to has duplicate values.  To get more specific help, share soe data.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/
v-cherch-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous

I would suggest you check and manage the relationshipsRemove the invalid relationships. If you need further help, please share the pbix file so that we could check it. You can upload it to OneDrive and post the link here. Do mask sensitive data before uploading. Below is the similar post for your reference.

https://github.com/BrentOzarULTD/SQL-Server-First-Responder-Kit/issues/1406

Regards,

Cherie

Community Support Team _ Cherie Chen
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi,

I had the same error but my file was originally set to "many-to-one" relationship. It was working out fine and then when I had to update the data with the latest input, that's where I got an error after I refereshed it.

Is there any other area where I could try and check to fix it?

Hi,

Did you get the solution for this? If yes, Could you please let me know the reason behind this error?

Hi,

I had the same error but my file was originally set to "many-to-one" relationship. It was working out fine and then when I had to update the data with the latest input, that's where I got an error after I refereshed it.

Is there any other area where I could try and check to fix it?

Hi @Anonymous

Could you tell me if your problem has been solved? If it is,kindly mark the helpful answer as a solution and welcome to share your own solution. More people will benefit from here. If not, please share more details for us so that we could help further on it.

Regards,

Cherie

Community Support Team _ Cherie Chen
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey, i managed to fix the issue in Relationships by changing the Cardinality to 'Many to One'. 

In my case the initial dataset choose the wrong table to be unique. I let Power BI recreate the data set from original query. Now I had already transformed the data to replace null with "blank" text value. I didn't want to redo this and I had already published to reports. So I just exported the Dataaset from reports imported that .pbix file into Power BI desktop. opened both data models  side by side and made the exported data model look like the newer model just made and when they matched saved and published the data set back to my reports replacing it. Voilâ, error gone on re-synch. This is good since it's just January and this dashboard needs to make it to December.

I had the same or a similar error (see image below), and couldn't clear cache because I had to apply 59 lines of edits, so I tried to Unpivot the columns > Save as > Apply and then Apply & Close to smoothly reflect the changes.

Screenshot 2022-12-03 184946.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

I had different issue.  I started to load data into my PBI file.  Had to intrupt in between due to file being too big and was due for a presentation.  Now once I was done with presentation, I started the traform and load process again.  I start getting error of duplicate ID in a column, even though there is none in reality.  After reading this thread, I was able to reach tools tab, and then Diagnostic Options button and in the DATA Load tab, I cleared the Data Catch and Q&A Chache.  That took care of my problem.  Thought of noting it here if it helps someone new bee like me.

Clearing the Data Catch and Q&A Chache helped me as well.

We got this error on dataset refresh, which would not allow users to access any data on the report and was very critical to solve asap.

Thank you very much for posting. It came in very handy.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.