Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

itimatic
Frequent Visitor

Refresh data error: Character set 'utf8mb3' is not supported by .Net Framework

When I try refreshing dataset I get error:
An error happened while reading data from the provider: 'Character set 'utf8mb3' is not supported by .Net Framework.'

Used to work fine before, I get data from a remote MySQL database on AWS server Checked collation of columns is utf8mb4_unicode_ci
I use:

• .Net framework version: 4.8
  • MySQL connector version: 8.0.16 Also tried on latest version
  • Power BI Desktop version: 2.100.1182.0 64-bit (December 2021)

I'm able to get the database tables in MySQL Workbench and HeidiSQL
    Furthermore, I checked all db server config settings are all set to utfmb4

- Tested on 3 previous versions of Power BI
    - Tested on 3 pervious versions of MySQL connectors
    - Tested on 2 versions of data gateways

Any idea?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
itimatic
Frequent Visitor

The issue has been resolved.

The report was previously built based on MySQL database data source
On server side MySQL database has been converted to MariaDB which caused utf8mb3 errors when establishing connection.
Updating and downgrading of .Net framework didn't resolve the issue.

The connection was re-established successfully using connector-odbc-3.1.4 available on https://downloads.mariadb.com/Connectors/odbc/connector-odbc-3.1.4/
And data source settings I changed from MySQL Database to MariaDB, which resulted in datasets being treated as a completely new source, eventually all worked as before.

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
ludozila

Comigo funcionou após upgrade de versão, a versão anterior do meu era o 8.0.18 e agora está na versão 8.0.32

mrlutton
Advocate II
Advocate II

This is ridiculous. A simple mySQL connection should not be a problem taking hours to resolve. I will try the ODBC option but why is this an ongoing issue in 2023?

Philri

download 8.0.32

Philri_0-1696244564792.png

Draka_BR
Regular Visitor

Bom dia,

Estou com um erro parecido, ao tentar atualizar o conjunto de dados retorna o erro abaixo:

Erro de fonte de dados: {"error":{"code":"DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_MashupDataAccessError","pbi.error":{"code":"DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_MashupDataAccessError","parameters":{},"details":[{"code":"DM_ErrorDetailNameCode_UnderlyingErrorCode","detail":{"type":1,"value":"-2147467259"}},{"code":"DM_ErrorDetailNameCode_UnderlyingErrorMessage","detail":{"type":1,"value":"Ocorreu um erro ao ler dados do provedor: 'Character set 'utf8mb3' is not supported by .Net Framework.'"}}

Fiz alguns testes:
- Fiz downgrade do connector .net para versão 8.0.28, 8.0.27;

- Fiz update para ultima vesão 8.0.33

Nenhuma das tentativas funcionaram.

Alguem tem uma sugestão ?

Atenciosamente,

Renan.

mcdiddy4
Frequent Visitor

An error happened while reading data from the provider: 'Character set 'utf8mb3' is not supported by .Net Framework.

Installing the .net connector resolved the issue without needing to use the Maria DB ODBC workaround.  Here is the URL to download the driver

Windows (x86, 32-bit), MSI Installer 8.0.31 15.2M
(mysql-connector-net-8.0.31.msi)

download the mysql connector version 8.0.32

Philri_0-1696244620512.png

codepounder

This issue has been reported as a bug at MySQL starting with version 8.0.29.

MySQL Bugs: #107259: Character Set 'utf8mb3' is not supported by .Net Framework

(https://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=107259)

Whether it's a "bug" or just a breaking change in MySQL is debatable, but the default character set in the system database information_schema changed from utf8 to utf8mb3. The .Net framework connector for MySql doesn't understand this.

If you don't have the option to change to a different connection stack, going back to MySQL 8.0.28 solved the problem for me. The issue still exists in MySQL 8.0.30, and I'm not sure if they'll change it in a future version.

MarcusR1
Helper I
Helper I

I'm still struggling with this, I can't get 0.8.29 connector to work, so am using 0.8.16 but get  'Character set 'utf8mb3' is not supported by .Net Framework.'.  There's an anonymous post here about altering the tables, do you do that in the SQL command section of the GetData dialogue? Does it work?
Is anyone from Microsoft or PowerBI listening? is there a resolution?

azaidi

For all those still struggling with the issue. Please download the latest so far 8.0.29 version of MySQL .Net Connector from MySQL :: Download Connector/NET

and add below text to C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\Config\machine.config

under 

<DbProviderFactories>
<add name="MySQL Data Provider" invariant="MySql.Data.MySqlClient" description=".Net Framework Data Provider for MySQL" type="MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlClientFactory, MySql.Data, Version=8.0.29.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=c5687fc88969c44d" />
</DbProviderFactories> 

Cheers

I have not this tag <DbProviderFactories> and with 8.0.30 I cannot connect ( i uninstalled it and installed the .23 version of the connector ).

Edit this file

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\Config\machine.config

And this file

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\Config\machine.config

Thanks a lot! it worked with version Version=8.0.30.0, thanks again!

Hi , i installed version 8.0.33. 
 <DbProviderFactories>
<add name="MySQL Data Provider" invariant="MySql.Data.MySqlClient" description=".Net Framework Data Provider for MySQL" type="MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlClientFactory, MySql.Data, Version=8.0.33.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=c5687fc88969c44d" />
</DbProviderFactories> 

After adding this  , getting different problem , as like this , 
failureCould not load file or assembly 'System.Runtime.CompilerServices.Unsafe, Version=4.0.4.1, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040)

Please help advise me Thanks a lot.

Thanks a lot, bro. Have been searching everywhere for a solution to this problem. I am using .Net version 8.0.30, I changed this in your code and it worked like a charm..... 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Here we go issue with tables and columns setting in MySQL. evern if you update default server setting you still have to do each table and column

--   TABLES 

select CONCAT('alter table ',TABLE_SCHEMA,'.',TABLE_NAME,' charset=utf8mb4;') command
from information_schema.TABLES
WHERE TABLE_SCHEMA = 'DB Name';

Email me if you need help mansi.a.mansi@gmail.com

--  COLUMNS

select concat('ALTER TABLE ',TABLE_Name, ' MODIFY `',COLUMN_NAME, '` ' , COLUMN_TYPE, ' CHARACTER SET utf8mb4;') command
from information_schema.COLUMNS
WHERE TABLE_SCHEMA = 'DB NAME HERE'
and CHARACTER_SET_NAME = 'utf8mb3';

itimatic
Frequent Visitor

The issue has been resolved.

The report was previously built based on MySQL database data source
On server side MySQL database has been converted to MariaDB which caused utf8mb3 errors when establishing connection.
Updating and downgrading of .Net framework didn't resolve the issue.

The connection was re-established successfully using connector-odbc-3.1.4 available on https://downloads.mariadb.com/Connectors/odbc/connector-odbc-3.1.4/
And data source settings I changed from MySQL Database to MariaDB, which resulted in datasets being treated as a completely new source, eventually all worked as before.

Anonymous
Not applicable

It worked for few users when we updated .NET Framework

Thanks

Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Hello!! If I have the same problem since they updated the version of MySQL one of my boards can not connect. I looked everywhere but I can't find the solution.
If anyone can give us a hand please!

itimatic
Frequent Visitor

No one had this issue before?? Anyone there?

I have posted the solution incase.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.