Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

StephenF
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Refresh data button

I wish to have a button in my powerBI to refresh the data. This report is embedded in my sharepoint and changes need to be cascaded through from a powerapp that updates my SQl data source.

Is there a way to do this natively either through a button or have an autorefresh(say every ten minutes)?

I think i can scedule a data source to update up to 8 times a day so does that cascade straight through to a PBI visual or does the visual need to have the ability to refresh itself also?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @StephenF 

What kind of connection mode did you use to connect to SQL, import or  directquery?

If you use import connection mode and you have pro license, you can install a gateway and configure schedule refresh(8 times per day).

If you have premium license, your can set schedule refresh 48 times per day.

If you use direct query mode to build your report, you can set your schedule cache refresh interval to 15 minutes .

I think you may use embed to sharepoint function to embed your report to your sharepoint site.

Your embed report will refresh automaticlly after you refresh your browser.

1.png

Refresh succeed:

2.png

Result is as below.

3.png

Best Regards,

Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@StephenF is not a hack, it is a proper solution and no page shows up, not sure where you read that. I use it all the time.

Check my latest blog post Compare Budgeted Scenarios vs. Actuals I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

StephenF
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Ok when the data refreshes in the data set does it cascade through to a powerBI embed on a sharepoint page then? Is there a guide?

Hi @StephenF 

What kind of connection mode did you use to connect to SQL, import or  directquery?

If you use import connection mode and you have pro license, you can install a gateway and configure schedule refresh(8 times per day).

If you have premium license, your can set schedule refresh 48 times per day.

If you use direct query mode to build your report, you can set your schedule cache refresh interval to 15 minutes .

I think you may use embed to sharepoint function to embed your report to your sharepoint site.

Your embed report will refresh automaticlly after you refresh your browser.

1.png

Refresh succeed:

2.png

Result is as below.

3.png

Best Regards,

Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. 

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@StephenF you can use Power Automate to refresh the power BI dataset, you can schedule how often you want to refresh. Keep in mind, under Power BI pro you can refresh only 8 times a day.

Check my latest blog post Compare Budgeted Scenarios vs. Actuals I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

StephenF
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Is this the hackish workaround i saw online that involves a html page popping up or is it seamless?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.