Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AlexTaskar

Refresh PowerPivot while source file is open

Hi everybody,

I have a PowerPivot model (in excel) importing several excel files form a folder.

When I'm trying to refresh the PowerPivot while one of the source files is open, I get the following error: "... the process cannot access the file *** because it is being used by another process "

Please advise how can I fix this.

Thank you in advance

3 REPLIES 3
sgengie2020
Frequent Visitor

Hi, I have similar problem when someone opening excel file in shared drive. 

Underlying error message: The process cannot access the file '\\xxx\~$01 Dec 2020.xls' because it is being used by another process.

I was able to refresh from PowerBI desktop but not from the Gateway.

It is very strange because by right Power BI should be just having ReadOnly access and should have no problem reading the file.

Anyone can help on this?

v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @AlexTaskar 

The error message is pretty clear: you're trying to access a file, and it's not accessible because another process (or even the same process) is doing something with it.

Please close the source file and refresh again.

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I'm having the same problem and the file is definitely not in use. All files are in One Drive and closed. Deleted the dataset in Service and reset from Desktop. Refreshed from Desktop. Checked credentials. What's left?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.