Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

StidifordN
Helper III
Helper III

Refresh Failure Factors

Simply - What parts of a PBIX report dictate its size when it comes to re-freshing.

I'm hitting an issue with our overnight server refresh, as the report I have created is hitting the memory limit for our business.  There is an option to pay to upgrade, but at the moment thats not an option being persued so optimising this report is required.

FailurePic1.jpg

Curious what factors are most common in causing this memory size issue.  Is it the number of data connections, the size of those connections, the number of table &/or mesure calculations... 
Interested where is best to start looking/testing.

Note - I can refresh this report on my desktop without issue 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

The memory allocation required during a refresh is dependant on the tables, columns and relationships in your model. Measures do not impact on the memory needed during refresh as they are only evaluated during queries. If you want to get an idea of what parts of your model(s) are using the most memory you could use a tool like Vertipaq Analyzer https://www.sqlbi.com/tools/vertipaq-analyzer/

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

The memory allocation required during a refresh is dependant on the tables, columns and relationships in your model. Measures do not impact on the memory needed during refresh as they are only evaluated during queries. If you want to get an idea of what parts of your model(s) are using the most memory you could use a tool like Vertipaq Analyzer https://www.sqlbi.com/tools/vertipaq-analyzer/

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.