Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

nicolethompson
Frequent Visitor

Refresh Failed:  'file 'pfoledbreader.cpp', line 836, function 'PFDBReaderOledb::Bind'). '

I have been running into the following error during my monthly report refresh -  Failed to save modifications to the server. Error returned: 'An unexpected error occurred (file 'pfoledbreader.cpp', line 836, function 'PFDBReaderOledb::Bind'). '. 

Nothing in my pbix file has changed since the last refresh so i am confused why this has come up - my rfresh goes well until a terminal window opens for a second and then this error appears.

Any help with finding out whats causing this is appreicated!

nicolethompson_0-1667471961567.png

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Thank you than688, this fixed the issue for me also.

Basically I just created a basic new data table of just a few U.S States, via "Enter Data" on Home screen.

Then put the following at the top of each of my calculated tables:

VAR _Temp = MAX('US States'[ST])

Now data can be refreshed. 

View solution in original post

cygnex
Advocate I
Advocate I

It appears that the update to Power BI Desktop for November 2022 has fixed this issue. 

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25
cygnex
Advocate I
Advocate I

It appears that the update to Power BI Desktop for November 2022 has fixed this issue. 

than688
Frequent Visitor

Hi all, Microsoft have provided me with a solution after raising a support ticket:

The problem arises in the October 2022 update where a calculated entity references a DirectQuery entity and ONLY DirectQuery entities. Until the bug is fixed, a solution is to ensure all such formulas ALSO reference a loaded data source which does NOT come from DirectQuery. I can confirm this worked for me.

Example: in DAX formulas with no existing variable, you could insert the following in front:
VAR [name] = MAX ('Table'[column]) (as long as the source is not DQ)
RETURN
[original DAX referring to DQ source]

Thank you than688, this fixed the issue for me also.

Basically I just created a basic new data table of just a few U.S States, via "Enter Data" on Home screen.

Then put the following at the top of each of my calculated tables:

VAR _Temp = MAX('US States'[ST])

Now data can be refreshed. 
soroviana_m

Hi, I've the exact same problem.

Update from my side - my company IT team told me to reinstall the september version and this has solved the issue so i'm assuming this is something to do with the October update. 

Problem now is that any reports developed with October version can't be refreshed on September version. Solution is still needed as this is just a work around for me.

cygnex
Advocate I
Advocate I

Thank you for recording this issue, I am also getting this same error on a critical report that has calcualted tables and direct access to a shared dataset. 

Fix proposed by than688 worked for me. 

v-binbinyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @nicolethompson ,

This is acknowledged as an issue. We have reported the issue and submitted it to the internal icm platform, No:344890500 . Engineers will do their best to resolve the issue. I will update you here if there is any progress , please be patient.

Best regards,
Community Support Team_ Binbin Yu

Thank you for the update 🙂

than688
Frequent Visitor

I have the same issue. It would be great if someone from Microsoft could confirm.

I built a very large costing model for my organisation using Direct Query to Datasets + calculated tables. It all worked a month ago, and now I cannot refresh the model. Has MS really removed functionality, with potentially big impacts (such as for myself) without any comms?

JOOV2
Frequent Visitor

I am experiencing the same issue since I installed the October 2022 version.

When I leave out/delete my calculated table (just a simple Calendar table which uses two dates from a table from AS as input), it works again. Any suggestions to overcome this issue are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Power_BI_Neo
Regular Visitor

Same here

I have the same problem. I'm using 'DirectQuery for PBI datasets and AS' preview feature but I also have a calculated table. If i remove the calculated table the refresh works.

Jonathan_Mirand

I have the same issue, I've already updated Power Bi and my computer and it's still not working. Somebody knows what´s happend? or Whatshould we do?

Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Hi, I have the same problem around here.

Version: 2.110.1085.0 64-bit (October 2022)

alicialcaide
Helper II
Helper II

Hello, I'm having the same problem. 

I have one PBIX with the data model and several PBIX file (only dashboard with visuals) connected to it, and now, I cannot refresh the PBIX file in local.

I had to reinstall the October version and then, it worked.

kncamp

I'm getting the same error as well. Which version of PBI are you using? I'm using Version: 2.110.1085.0 64-bit (October 2022)

@nicolethompson 

2.110.1085.0 64-bit (October 2022). What i think may be causing my error is a calculated table that uses a UNION function. When i delete this table the file refreshes with no problem.

Weird thing is this calculated table isn't new and only this month doesn't want to refresh. Perhaps the new version is causing this? Still not sure.

My report was also using a calculated table using the UNION function. I ended up re-designing my report using the new field parameters to work around this issue.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors