Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

COMtrac
Advocate I
Advocate I

Refresh Documentation

Can anyone point me to an article or provide advice on how to refresh data from a excel workbook in PowerBI.  I am having a bit of difficulty finding the exact advice in documentation.

• I use a excel workbook that sits on my local drive.
  • I created the report in Power BI Desktop
  • Published it from PowerBI desktop to PowerBI Service
  • Created a dashboard
  • Shared the dashboard

I wantt o be able to update the dashboard/report once a day as the excel report is updated on my my local drive

Thanking you in advance for your assistance

6 REPLIES 6

In PBI service you can set a scheduled refresh time. Once you've published your report from the desktop, go to the service and select the dataset. Click on the options icon next to the dataset and choose scheduled refresh.

Be aware that if your computer sits on a corporate network or behind a firewall you will need to use a gateway

Thanks for your response.  One quick question.  Would it be better for me to set up the excel spreadsheet in microsoft one drive or just keep using the excel file that is on my local drive.

Regards

Craig

@COMtrac

No matter you host your Excel workbook on local or cloud, you just need to install a gateway and configure schedule refresh on Power BI Service to refresh the dataset. It just depends on your usage. For more details, please see:

Refresh a dataset created from an Excel workbook on a local drive

Refresh a dataset created from an Excel workbook on OneDrive, or SharePoint Online

Regards,

Simon I was under the impression that OneDrive did need the gateway for refresh. Can you please confirm?

Hi @dkay84_PowerBI, as far as I am aware if you connect to your Excel file from OneDrive you do not need the On-Premise gateway.

And due to this Power BI will check roughly every 15 - 30 minutes for updates to the Excel file. And this is all automated.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

It really depends on your use case. Why are you necessarily even using excel as a landing zone for your data? Can you connect to the source directly?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.