Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Referencing columns from tables in Query Editor

Good morning,

I have two tables I've pulled through to Power BI from SQL servers. The Table names are "QueryCMWritten" and "QueryPM Written"

I want to create a new table, pulling through some columns from both tables. 

I created a blank table called Variance - see attached image. 

Say I want to pull a column through called "Column1CM" and "Column1PM" from these two tables. Is this possible? And if so, what M code do I write to do this?

Thanks!

Jemma

NewTable.png

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous,

By my tests, you could use Table.SelectColumns() fucntion to get the columns from another table.

Here is my test sample.  

Assuming that I have two tables Sheet1 and Sheet6, then I create the blank query and type the query below.

let
    Source = Table.SelectColumns(Sheet6,"PostingYear"),
in
    Source

Then I will get the column [Posting Year] from table Sheet 6. Then I could create the custom column with the same query.

let
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Custom", each Table.SelectColumns(Sheet1,"TYPE")),
    #"Expanded Custom" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Added Custom", "Custom", {"TYPE"}, {"Custom.TYPE"})
in
    #"Expanded Custom"

The query above should make sense of you. I'm not good at M query.

Hope @ImkeF would help you get the solution more efficient.

Best  Regard,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Usually, I would merge 2 tables via a common key-column to make sure that each row has data that belongs together (see here for example: https://www.powerquery.training/portfolio/merge-tables/).

But if you really just want to put one table beneath the other, you'd use Table.ToColumns on each of those tables and create a joined table using Table.FromColumns(TransformedFirstTable & TransformedSecondTable)

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous ,

Have you solved your problem?

If you have solved, please always accept the replies making sense as solution to your question so that people who may have the same question can get the solution directly.

If you still need help, please feel free to ask.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous,

By my tests, you could use Table.SelectColumns() fucntion to get the columns from another table.

Here is my test sample.  

Assuming that I have two tables Sheet1 and Sheet6, then I create the blank query and type the query below.

let
in
    Source

Then I will get the column [Posting Year] from table Sheet 6. Then I could create the custom column with the same query.

let
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Custom", each Table.SelectColumns(Sheet1,"TYPE")),
    #"Expanded Custom" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Added Custom", "Custom", {"TYPE"}, {"Custom.TYPE"})
in
    #"Expanded Custom"

The query above should make sense of you. I'm not good at M query.

Hope @ImkeF would help you get the solution more efficient.

Best  Regard,

Cherry

Usually, I would merge 2 tables via a common key-column to make sure that each row has data that belongs together (see here for example: https://www.powerquery.training/portfolio/merge-tables/).

But if you really just want to put one table beneath the other, you'd use Table.ToColumns on each of those tables and create a joined table using Table.FromColumns(TransformedFirstTable & TransformedSecondTable)

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.