Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

daniwill882
Frequent Visitor

Referencing Part of a Calendar Tablein a Moving Average Measure

Hi,

I'm currently working on a report to bring together all of our main datasets. This includes a page per dataset and then one to combine relevant data. I've created a calendar table to link the date element of all datasets together. The issue i'm having is with the moving average measure for one dataset, this is because there is a year's less data. All other datasets start on 04/01/2015 while this one only goes back to 04/01/2016. This is causing the April 2016 moving average to include previous months as if the value is 0Capture.PNG.

The DAX i'm using for moving average is:

Confirm Moving Average = IF(COUNTROWS(VALUES('Calendar'[MonthNumber]))=1,CALCULATE([Count of Confirm Records]/COUNTROWS(VALUES('Calendar'[MonthNumber])),DATESBETWEEN('Calendar'[Date],FIRSTDATE(PARALLELPERIOD('Calendar'[Date],-2,MONTH)),LASTDATE(PARALLELPERIOD('Calendar'[Date],0,MONTH))),ALL('Calendar')))

My question is, is there anything I can add into the DAX so that it only includes data from 04/01/2016 rather than the whole calendar dates column.

I'm relatively new to Power BI so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@daniwill882

What if you add a filter to the DAX? For further questions, please post some sample data(in plain text or file, we  can't copy from a snapshot) and expected output.

Confirm Moving Average =
IF (
    COUNTROWS ( VALUES ( 'Calendar'[MonthNumber] ) ) = 1,
    CALCULATE (
        [Count of Confirm Records] / COUNTROWS ( VALUES ( 'Calendar'[MonthNumber] ) ),
        DATESBETWEEN (
            'Calendar'[Date],
            FIRSTDATE ( PARALLELPERIOD ( 'Calendar'[Date], -2, MONTH ) ),
            LASTDATE ( PARALLELPERIOD ( 'Calendar'[Date], 0, MONTH ) )
        ),
        FILTER ( 'Calendar', 'Calendar'[Date] >= DATE( 2016, 4, 1 ) )
    )
)

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@daniwill882

What if you add a filter to the DAX? For further questions, please post some sample data(in plain text or file, we  can't copy from a snapshot) and expected output.

Confirm Moving Average =
IF (
    COUNTROWS ( VALUES ( 'Calendar'[MonthNumber] ) ) = 1,
    CALCULATE (
        [Count of Confirm Records] / COUNTROWS ( VALUES ( 'Calendar'[MonthNumber] ) ),
        DATESBETWEEN (
            'Calendar'[Date],
            FIRSTDATE ( PARALLELPERIOD ( 'Calendar'[Date], -2, MONTH ) ),
            LASTDATE ( PARALLELPERIOD ( 'Calendar'[Date], 0, MONTH ) )
        ),
        FILTER ( 'Calendar', 'Calendar'[Date] >= DATE( 2016, 4, 1 ) )
    )
)

Thank you, this works perfectly. I will do so in future posts, thanks for the advice.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.