Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Matthias93
Helper III
Helper III

Referenced query not being updated

HI,

I have a refrenced query that takes a query to a SharePoint list as a starting point. I have disable this reference query for data refresh. However if I now refresh my report, the initial query takes the new information, but my referenced query does not take this new information into account at all. What could be causing this?

let
Source = #"Members Raw Data",  (this is what I'm using to reference), I tried Source = Table.Buffer(#"Members Raw Data") as well

If I include this referenced query in the refresh it does work, but the whole point of referencing the query was to not load it in the refresh since it's slowing things way down.

Kind regards,

Matt

3 REPLIES 3
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Matthias93,

This may be the expected behavior currently. Below is the response from Product team in this thread:

The current behavior is By Design. The "Do no include in refresh" applies only to a specific table; it does not exclude downstream tables. Often users will have a "base query" (e.g. "All Customers") that they do not want to load; however, they may want to nonetheless load downstream queries (e.g. "North American Customers").

In addition, here is also a similar thread in which a workaround is mentioned. Could you go to check if it helps in your scenario? Smiley Happy

Regards

I think this scenario is a bit different, but let me explain to you in more detail what I'm doing and what I'm trying to achieve:

I disbled the refresh of the referenced query. My idea was to take in raw data from the SharePoint list in query A, then reference to query A in query B where I actually do all of the operations on my data. Since I'm expanding values in my query B, this tends to slow refresh time down by a lot (times 7). For that reason I figured I could disbale the refresh of query B since it takes query A as a starting point. I'm updating query A so query B should automatically follow. (in my reasoning).

Regards,

Matt

Hi @Matthias93,

Yes, I have noticed that. In the other scenario, they disable refresh of query A (instead of query B in your scenario).

Based on my understanding, currently, the "Do not include in refresh" will and applies only to the specific table, no matter if it is referring another table. Or both scenarios could work as expected. So I would suggest you submit your requirement on Power BI Ideas to improve Power BI on this feature. Smiley Happy

Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.