Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Johan
Helper III
Helper III

Reference query accesses the source twice

Hi,

When I user 'reference' in the query editor, it should load from the initial (referenced) query. But PBI seems to access the source database again.

How can I load from the previously loaded table, instead of having to access the source again?

Thanks,

Johan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-huizhn-msft
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hi @Johan,

What database do you use? I get data from SQL Server database, I can reproduce your scenario, reference still access database again, which is designed by Power BI.

Please add Table.Buffer in your original Query, when you refresh your reference, which wouldn't access the database again based on my test. 

1.PNG

And there is a similar thread for reference.

Best Regards,
Angelia

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-huizhn-msft
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hi @Johan,

What database do you use? I get data from SQL Server database, I can reproduce your scenario, reference still access database again, which is designed by Power BI.

Please add Table.Buffer in your original Query, when you refresh your reference, which wouldn't access the database again based on my test. 

1.PNG

And there is a similar thread for reference.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Thanks for you help.

The thread you were referring to describes it well. Apparantly it depends on the caching of the initial query. 

I think the table.buffer (or list.buffer) only works within 1 query.

Helpful resources

Announcements
2022 Release Wave 1 760x460.png

2022 Release Wave 1 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2022 release wave 1 describes all new features releasing from April 2022 through September 2022.

Power BI December 2021 Update_carousel 768x460.jpg

Check it Out!

Click here to read more about the December 2021 Updates!

Top Solution Authors