Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Reference existing query from R script

I know that you can import data (i.e. from URL or local file) using the custom R Script in Query Editor, but is it possible to load the data using a regular UI-based query and then reference that query within your R script?

For example, I have a list of transactions as a CSV and I want to perform a market basket analysis using the Apriori algorithm within R.  I know I can read the CSV into Power BI from within R script, but what if the CSV was already loaded into a data model?  In other words, I have a query already loaded named "Transactions" and I want to create a new query that references "Transactions" but performs the analysis and outputs the Apriori analysis (a dataframe/table that has the association rules and resulting measures).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@dkay84_PowerBI

We can only reference the existing query with Power Query by starting from a Blank Query and type = Query1, which will reference to an existing query called "Query1".

We can use R Script to get data, perform data cleansing, advanced data shaping and analytics in datasets, including completion of missing data, predictions, and clustering. For details please refer to https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-desktop-r-in-query-editor/.

But we cannot reference existing query from R script as you desired.

Best Regards,

Herbert

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
scottazrhc
Regular Visitor

Did you ever find a workaround for this issue? For my purposes, it makes R in Power Query Editor frustratingly useless. It seems the most obvious need would be to selectively apply R functions against existing data, but for whatever reason, that is not supported. 

Bump - has there been any updates in the last year that would allow us to reference an existing query and apply R functions against that data?

v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@dkay84_PowerBI

We can only reference the existing query with Power Query by starting from a Blank Query and type = Query1, which will reference to an existing query called "Query1".

We can use R Script to get data, perform data cleansing, advanced data shaping and analytics in datasets, including completion of missing data, predictions, and clustering. For details please refer to https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-desktop-r-in-query-editor/.

But we cannot reference existing query from R script as you desired.

Best Regards,

Herbert

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you mean pass a query table to the R script engine and have it return the results of an R analysis as a visual, see https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-desktop-r-visuals/

No I am looking to perform some calculations and transformations using R, not visuals, for this use case.  Thanks though

BhaveshPatel
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @dkay84_PowerBI

As far as I am aware, this is not possible in integrated R environment at this stage. 

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.