Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

GTPowerBIUser
Helper III
Helper III

Reference Previous Value in adjacent column based on multiple criteria using variables

I'd like to stay away from EARLIER() since my table is large and that may create to many behind the scenes calculations. I'm hoping for a solution using variables.

Based on the below table, I'm looking to reference the Prior Priority based on the OS_Number. Prior Priority would be the OS_Version - 1. If Version is 1 the new column should show null or NA.

Image 3.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes, this can be done in Power Query using the function that I've described here: https://www.thebiccountant.com/2018/07/12/fast-and-easy-way-to-reference-previous-or-next-rows-in-po...

If your data is clustered by priority already, you can use the integrated group-function (as it uses the fast GroupKind.Local). You would call the function with the following parameters:

fnTableReferenceDifferentRow(YourTableName, -1, {"Priority"}, {"OS_Number"})

Just replace "YourTableName" by the name of your table and "fnTablReferenceDifferentRow" by the name of your function, if yu have named it differently.

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

This works

let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Data1"]}[Content],
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Prior Priority", type text}, {"OS_Number", Int64.Type}, {"OS_version", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Changed Type", "Index", 1, 1),
    #"Next value" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Index", "custom column", each #"Added Index"{[Index]}[Prior Priority]),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Next value", "Custom", each if [custom column]="NA" then [Prior Priority] else [custom column]),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Added Custom",{"custom column"}),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Removed Columns",{{"Custom", "Priority"}}),
    #"Reordered Columns" = Table.ReorderColumns(#"Renamed Columns",{"Priority", "Prior Priority", "OS_Number", "OS_version", "Index"}),
    #"Removed Columns1" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Reordered Columns",{"Index"})
in
    #"Removed Columns1"

Untitled.png

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/

Hi there,

You can try this, I hope that understood what you are trying to achive.

New Column (Prior Priority) = 
IF(
  Table[OS_Version] > 1,
  VAR osNr = Table[OS_Number]
  VAR osVer = Table[OS_Version]-1
  RETURN
  MAXX(
    FILTER(
      Table,
      Table[OS_Number] = osNr
      && Table[OS_Version] = osVer
    ),
    Table[Priority]
  )
)

If this works for you please LIKE and mark as solution.

Regards,

Kristjan76

GTPowerBIUser
Helper III
Helper III

I came close with variables using the below based on another post. I'm just having trouble making sure there is a filter on OS_Number.

Prior Version Priority = 
VAR CurrentPriority =
    SELECTEDVALUE ( OPENSEAT_Hist[OS Priority] )
VAR VersionID =
    CALCULATE (
        MIN ( OPENSEAT_Hist[OS_VERSION] ),
        OPENSEAT_Hist[OS Priority] = CurrentPriority
    )
VAR PriorPriority =
    CALCULATE (
        VALUES ( OPENSEAT_Hist[OS Priority] ),
        OPENSEAT_Hist[OS_VERSION] = CurrentPriority - 1
    )
RETURN
    PriorPriority

Do you know if there would be another option in query editor maybe?

Reach out to @ImkeF, she's the M genius. For some reason the @ tagging isn't working for me.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thanks @Greg_Deckler! Looks like the @ worked on the post.

Yes, this can be done in Power Query using the function that I've described here: https://www.thebiccountant.com/2018/07/12/fast-and-easy-way-to-reference-previous-or-next-rows-in-po...

If your data is clustered by priority already, you can use the integrated group-function (as it uses the fast GroupKind.Local). You would call the function with the following parameters:

fnTableReferenceDifferentRow(YourTableName, -1, {"Priority"}, {"OS_Number"})

Just replace "YourTableName" by the name of your table and "fnTablReferenceDifferentRow" by the name of your function, if yu have named it differently.

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

I was just reading your page now! I'll work through it and let you know how it goes. thank you @ImkeF!

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Not sure how you are going to avoid using EARLIER unless you do it in Power Query maybe.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.