Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

KCinMelbourne
Resolver I
Resolver I

Reduce Data Retrieved from OData (Project Online)

Hi all,

I have an O Data feed pulling timesheet data from Project Online.  I have 2 issues with this:

1. It pulls all historical timesheet data which I then filter meaning the retrieve is slow considering I only really need 1 month of data at a time. Is it possible to push the processing back to Project Online so the retrieve time is reduced?
  2. The timesheet data itself is found in 2 separate tables and then if any other additional information required (such as resource information and the project data) comes from 2 more tables.  This means I retrieve 4 complete tables, filter the timesheets to current month and then merge to retrieve data from other tables.  Is it possible to push the data merge back so I am only retrieving the columns that I require from each table?

At present, the table takes 4-6 minutes to load but it is a relatively new data set, so as it grows, I'm concerned refresh time will grow as well.

Thanks

KCinMelbourne

4 REPLIES 4
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @KCinMelbourne 

If you could try to use Incremental refresh in Power BI.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-premium-incremental-refresh

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-lili6-msft ,

Thanks for your advice, but if I understand this correctly, it is only available to premium customers and we only have pro licenses, so this isn't a solution for us.

Cheers

KCinMelbourne

hi, @KCinMelbourne 

it is only available to premium customers for now, and soon it will be available to pro customers.

Please see that 

Amanda Cofsky (Program Manager, Microsoft Power BI) responded · Apr 25, 2019
Thanks for all the feedback on this! We are definitely planning on adding Incremental refresh to Pro. Do know though that it is a fair amount of work, so it may be a bit before we can give you a more firm timeline.

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/34198180-incremental-refresh-for-...

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks Lin @v-lili6-msft ,

I am going to leave the query open for longer as while this is an ideal solution, until it is released, it won't resolve our problem.  I will keep an eye out for that release though - it is good news.

Cheers

KCinMelbourne

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.