Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Redshift Data source Visualization works in Desktop, not when published

I have a report which connects a data source to our Redshift datawarehouse and reads a view.  The data visualisation works when in PowerBI Desktop.  But when I publish the report, check the data source against the Gateway is correct the published report shows an error.

Visualisation in Desktop:

powerbi-1.png

Visualisation (published):

powerbi-2.png

Error (See details):

powerbi-3.png

I've checked the permissions on the DWH and that the Gateway is configured correctly.  Not sure where to go in fixing this?

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks to Support, we have found the issue/bug that is causing this data visualization in PBIS.

The issue is caused because we are using Redshift Spectrum to extract data from an S3 bucket and using Glue to import into Redshift.  The default schema created for Redshift uses data types 'String' - which is where the issue lies.

The initial confirmation of this was that I changed this data query from 'Direct Query' (From Redshift) to 'Import', which we could do because the dataset is small at present.  Importing the data and PowerBI must change the data to Varchars, because the issue was resolved immediately and the visuals are working once published.

This is not a long term solution as our dataset will grow.  I am now going back to Spectrum and changing the data source types from String to Varchars, which should have the same effect, allowing us to Direct Query from Redshift, as intended.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , Check there are few setting given in the middle of the post after publish

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/announcing-support-for-amazon-redshift-reports-in-the-power-bi-service/

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Amit.  I did read that post as part of my research into this issue.

When I review the dataset for the report the Gateway connections are set correctly and status 'Running' and the Data Source Credentials are all set to (admin has granted access, credentials are not required).

It must be a permissions issue with connecting via the Internet.  I'll have to keep investigating.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.