Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

alotro
Frequent Visitor

Recursive query example?

Hello community,

I am trying to put together a query that would list all employees reporting to a manager, all levels down.

Please see attached example. What would be a way to create such a query in PBI? My datasource is Excel.

Thank you!Recursive.JPG

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi I have done this in Power Query. Is this enquiry still active. I just came across it while looking for other things.

I just noticed you can't run a recursive function in dataflows.

Hi Robert, 

Could you please let me know how you found the solution for this enquire in power query?

Thanks

You can run recursive queires in dataflows. 

In the Power M Specifications, In the section on recursive functions, it mentions that you need to use an '@' sign (scoping operator) when you're making the recursive call.  Related to https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Recursive-functions-in-dataflows/m-p/778222#M75219

Edited the following for a better answer:

In my solution, I have a table of employees that I put a zero-based index on. I built my hierarchy map_table using the index as my keys.

Employee 
---------- 
index (Int64), name (text), ... 

map_table
------------
employee (Int64), manager(Int64) (manager is the index of another entry in the empolyee table, or null in the case of a root node)

In Power M:

I wrote this function to replicate the DAX PATH function in M.

let
  Output = (map_table as table, element as nullable number) as text => let
        manager = if element is null then null else Record.Field(map_table{element}, "manager"),
        pathOutput = if element is null then null 
                        else if manager is null then Text.From(element)
                        else Text.Combine({@Output(map_table, manager), "|", Text.From(element)})

in
        pathOutput
in
  Output

The zero-based index I referenced earlier is critical because I cheated when I wrote the function and indexed into the table rather than doing a lookup of the employee. This function will only work if your 'employee' table uses a zero-based index, and your 'map_table' sorted ascending by the 'employee' column.

If you add this to the map_table as a custom column, you can then expand this out to however many levels your hierarchy has with 

Table.SplitColumn(#"Added Custom", "Path_Column", Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter("|", QuoteStyle.Csv), column_list) 
//column_list is a list of columns I built to hold the hierarchy levels

Alternatively, in DAX:

Add a new column to the map_table:

path = PATH(employee, manager) 

Add as many columns as you have levels of hierarchy

h1 = PATHITEM(map_table[path], 1)
h2 = PATHITEM(map_table[path], 2)
h3 = PATHITEM(map_table[path], 3)
etc.

Now, using either the Power M or DAX method, my map_table looks like:
map_table
-----------
employee(Int64), manager(Int64), path(text), h1(Int64), h2(Int64), h3(Int64)...

To get useful information out of the hierarchy, you have to relate it back to the Employee table.
To do that, I created copies of my Employee table in DAX for each level of the hierachy.
Manager_1 = Employee, Manager_2 = Employee ...
I then created relationships between the Manager tables and the map_table.
map_table -> Employee on employee = index
map_table -> Manager_1 on h1 = index
map_table -> Manager_2 on h2 = index
map_table -> Manager_3 on h3 = index

To make the nice expanding tree view, I used a matrix visual with +/- icons turned on.
I then added the name column from each of the Manager_# tables as rows in the hierarchy

ChrisMendoza
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

@alotro,

How is it the case that 'Anna' and 'Nicholas' report to 'Michael' based off your source?

The pattern @ https://www.daxpatterns.com/parent-child-hierarchies/, is likely what you'll need but you'll need to restructure your source table to be something more like:

EmployeeReportsTo
Michael 
JohnMichael
RogerMichael
AnnaRoger
NicholasAnna
SuzyPhil
Phil 

[Employee] will need to be unique so you'll likely use an employee id or similar key.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

Proud to be a Super User!

Hi Chris,

Thank you for this quick reply!

I want to show all the levels of the hirearchy/Organizational Structure in my resulting dataset, so when I select Michael it shows Anna (who reports to Roger who reports to Michael) and Nicholas (who reports to Anna who reports to Roger who reports to Michael). 

Shall I be using PATH function in Parent-Child Hierarchies article you provided to display all the levels of hierarchy?

@alotro,

Selecting 'Michael' will get you 'Roger' will get you 'Anna' will get you 'Nicholas'.

I do not know of a way to get what you've described in your response.

Figure 6 shows what you can expect in a Matrix table visual if you follow the pattern in the link.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.