Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Recreating a visual originally done in Tableau

Hi all! The company I work for used to use Tableau, but has since switched over to PowerBI. I'm in the process of trying to recreate some visuals that were originally done in Tableau to the best of my ability, but am running into a couple hurdles.

Here is the Tableau visual:

Tableau.jpg

Here is what I have so far in PowerBI:

PowerBI.JPG

My questions are as follows:

1. Is it possible to remove the negative signs from the data labels on the blue sections of the PowerBI chart? Or else to convert those values to positive numbers but still have the data line up in the way it does above?
  2. Is it possible to set the Y axis to only display each location name (e.g. California) one time like is done in the Tableau version? The Axis field for the PowerBI visualization has 2 variables in it - location, then date
  3. Is it possible to have horizontal lines in between each set of 4 bars per location, as is done in the Tableau version?
  4. Is it possible to have each bar display the average value (on scale of 1-5) as is done in the Tableau version?

Thanks so much for any help!

3 REPLIES 3
v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jcpewittyancey ,

Please share your pbix if you don't have any Confidential Information. It's difficult to provide an accurate solution with just two pictures without any data and logic.

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay Wang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.
v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jcpewittyancey ,

1. You can use ABS() function to convert negative numbers into positive numbers. For more details please refer to the topic below.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/How-to-convert-negative-numbers-into-positive-numbers/td-p/....

2. I don't think the Initial visualizations in Power BI Desktop can achieve that. I also searched some custom visual from Microsoft AppSource but didn't find any suitable visual.

3. It's the same thing as above.

4. You can use AVERAGE() function to calculate average value. 

For more details about custom visual in Power BI, please check the documents below.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/developer/visuals/custom-visual-develop-tutorial.

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay Wang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.

Jay,

Thanks for the reply. I don't need to know how to calculate averages or convert negative numbers to positive numbers. I need to know how to get the data to show up correctly in the visualizations. If I just convert the negative percentages in the PowerBI chart above to positive numbers, then the chart will no longer display as I want it to, where the dark and light blue portions of the bars are to the left of the vertical axis, and the green and pink portions of the bars are to the right of the vertical axis. All I need is for the data labels to display as positive numbers instead of negative numbers.

The same is true for average. I know how to calculate the average. What I need help with is figuring out how to get the average to display in the visualization without having to create a couple dozen text boxes to enter the averages manually.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.