Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

alexeisenhart
Resolver I
Resolver I

Rebuild Data Combination When Creating SQL Server Data Source With List Query Parameter for Db Name

I'm attempting to use Power BI to support the data analysis efforts of the sales team at my company. We receive data from potential clients and currently all analysis is manual and adhoc. My goal is to reorganize this data into a common schema and throw it into a SQL Server database. The SQL Server instance has a "master" table that lists all of the databases that contain information in this schema. I'd then like to create a Power BI template that can be used to provide the same reports for each potential customer.

It looks like Power BI supports this well with parameters and Power BI templates, but I'd like to avoid the need for the sales team to supply the database name when they open the template; instead, I'd like them to have a dropdown list of all available databases so they can select the client they want to review. My thought is to do this with a parameter backed by a list query that provides the database names from the "master" table.

I followed the directions listed at https://blog.crossjoin.co.uk/2016/08/30/data-driven-power-bi-desktop-parameters-using-list-queries/ to create a query list and all of the database names are displayed in the list in the query editor.

When I create a new SQL Server data source, I supply the server name with a static string and the database name is the list-parameter. When I click "create" this error is reported -- 

Details: "Query 'Query1' (step 'Source') references other queries or steps, so it may not directly access a data source. Please rebuild this data combination."

From researching related problems, it looks like this might be a feature to prevent data exfiltration. If this is the case, is there any way to disable this security check or to elevate the security permissions of the queries? Or, is there a different way of achieving my dropdown list goal?

1 REPLY 1
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@alexeisenhart,

You may take a look at post below.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Pass-List-Query-Parameter-Value-into-Another-SQL-Server-Sto...

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.