Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

pocari

Realtime Power BI dashboard without internet access

Is it possible to configure Power BI dashboard to refresh automatically in an environment without Internet access? I have tried installing the on-premises gateway but it requires me to sign in which I could not.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks for the clarification, mentioning "dashboards" put me in the wrong direction, due to the fact that dashboards (as Power BI defines them, are only available in the Power BI Service).

For this reason, there is just a simple answer: No (unfortunately)

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @pocari,

>>Is it possible to configure Power BI dashboard to refresh automatically in an environment without Internet access?

You can try to get date from online sources(e.g. sharepoint online, onedrive online), power bi will use connect directly to connect the datasource and auto refresh without a gateway.

Reference link:

Data refresh in Power BI

>>I have tried installing the on-premises gateway but it requires me to sign in which I could not.

You need the pro licenses to use gateway.

Regards,

XIaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi Xiaoxin,

From my understanding of the data refresh link you sent, automatic refresh of Power BI requires some kind of online services. If my environment is isolated from the internet, is there any possible way of achieveing realtime automatic refresh of my Power BI Dashboard without internet access. For the on-premises gateway which allow user to schedule refresh interval why does it still requires user to login? Does it mean also that in order to use on-premises gateway, one need to access the internet also? For the on-premises gateway, what is the small refresh interval available? Is it possible to get realtime refresh from just using on-premises gateway?

Hi @pocari,

>>If my environment is isolated from the internet, is there any possible way of achieveing realtime automatic refresh of my Power BI Dashboard without internet access. 

You should ensure the gateway can access to the external network and datasource.

>>For the on-premises gateway which allow user to schedule refresh interval why does it still requires user to login?Does it mean also that in order to use on-premises gateway, one need to access the internet also? 

Sign in user account is user to register the gateway and bind to specific user.(you can login in power bi servier and check the bind on-premise gateway at 'manage gateway' option)

>>For the on-premises gateway, what is the small refresh interval available? 

You  can take a look at below link which about scheduled refresh:

Configuring scheduled refresh

>>Is it possible to get realtime refresh from just using on-premises gateway?

Current On-premise gateway not support realtime refresh, you can try to use stream dataset to achieve the realtime dashboard.

Real-time streaming in Power BI

Stream Analytics and Power BI: A real-time analytics dashboard for streaming data 

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

It seems to me that Power BI dashboard with realtime refresh is not suitable for on-premise environment without internet access. The 'on-premise' gateway needs you to sign in which you can't when your environment forbids you any access to the internet. Then realtime streaming in Power BI requires you to sign in to power bi service or azure service which again is internet dependent. I tried the newly release on-premise Power BI reporting server but from the looks of it, it seems to only support mssql analysis database for the developer version and the minimum auto refresh interval is only 1min, Please advise, ty.

Hi @pocari,

You can take a look at below articles about power bi report server:

Get started with Power BI Report Server

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Hey @pocari,

I'm not sure what you are trying to achive.

Currently there is just one way that automatically "refreshes" data in dashboard tile: Real-time data.

As far as I understand, that is not your concern, somehow you refresh your dataset, and now you want to ensure that a dashboard automatically refreshes (without any human intervention, e.g. reopen the dashboard or manually refresh the dashboard).

Maybe this link provides a solution for your task:

http://www.victorrocca.com/displaying-a-power-bi-dashboard-in-your-office/

If I'm totally wrong please excuse

I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Main problem: No access to the internet, i.e. any Online services like Power BI service, Microsoft Azure service etc
Main objective: Auto realtime refresh of my Power BI dashboard/report
Question: Any way to achieve the objective?

Please advise, tks.

Thanks for the clarification, mentioning "dashboards" put me in the wrong direction, due to the fact that dashboards (as Power BI defines them, are only available in the Power BI Service).

For this reason, there is just a simple answer: No (unfortunately)

I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.