Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Real time Paginated reports

We need to generate Real time invoices using Power BI report builder (paginated reports). 

Our data resides in Cosmos DB.

Approach 1 - Getting the data into Datalake and then to Synapse views to Power BI.

Cosmos DB > Datalake > Azure synapse views > Power BI 

The whole process takes 4-5 mins of time to get the data till Power BI to generate the invoices.

We want the reports in less than or equal to 3 seconds. 

Is it possible to consider Real time streaming in this case? If yes then HOW?

Has anyone ever implemented exact real time reporting in Power BI?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @lbendlin , 
as per the business logic, I needed event hub connectivity between cosmos and power bi rest api. 
I finally used azure functions to link event hub with power bi rest api and I am getting the records updated in power bi in less than a second. Thanks for your help, key here was azure functions.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

I don't think you can connect from Report Builder to push datasets.

You don't need the event hub - you can issue a standard HTTP POST call from whatever tool you want. The push dataset doesn't care where the data comes from as long as the key is valid.  (Which is actually slightly concerning!)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @lbendlin , 
as per the business logic, I needed event hub connectivity between cosmos and power bi rest api. 
I finally used azure functions to link event hub with power bi rest api and I am getting the records updated in power bi in less than a second. Thanks for your help, key here was azure functions.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

What do you mean by "event hub"  ?  I thought the question was about paginated reports?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi ibendlin, 

Yea, originally the question was about paginated reports, but now I figured out that paginated reports can be connected to push datasets. 
Now I created one push dataset, generated the REST API URL but now I need to connect event hub with this API URL so that I can push data into push dataset and then finally need to connect this dataset to paginated report. 
i am stuck in middle layer.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Thankfully, no.  You can pick the dataset but you can't connect to it.

lbendlin_0-1628082563130.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

It seems, I have made push dataset which will allow me to connect to paginated reports but now my question is, how can I connect event hub to the below PUSH URL which I generated while creating the dataset. 

https://api.powerbi.com/beta/*******/datasets/******/rows?key=*****

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

No, "real time" and "paginated"  do not mix.  You need to use regular reports with direct query sources and automatic page refresh, or streaming datasets and dashboards to get real-time-ness.

Anonymous
Not applicable

As per my understanding, we can use regular Power BI Datasets as a Report builder source. 

Keeping this in mind, can we use streaming datasets as a source to paginated reports?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.