Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Reading more than one Value in a Row and Column

Hello and good morning!

I've brainstormed this but haven't found a solution so far! So I'm coming to you for help. Heres the situation:

I have a dataset of accidents, with many infos on each specific accident. My issue here regards the vehicles involved in this accident.

In my data, I have a column like this:

LocalVeículos
Faixa 23:Automóvel(FIAT / PALIO);2:Perua/Caminhonete(VW / SAVEIRO);1:Caminhão(MB) ;

"This a cut of the data, can't use it all because of sensitive info"

In the column Veículos, I can have from 1 to 10 (or more) vehicles involved in the accident, and I only need the type of vehicle involved (ex: Automóvel; Perua/Caminhonete; Caminhão and this can easily be done with some data work).

But I couldn't workout how to make a graph with all these types in the same column,

image.png

so I deleted all vehicles but the first one (which is the one that causes the accident). This led me to a problem, where the number of vehicles involved in accidents is the same number of total accidents, and this is untrue.

The thing is, I could split each type of vehicle in different columns, but I wouldn't be able to "count" each of them and display them just like in the graph above (or would I? I dunno how). I was wondering if there was a way to create a "List" on the row values, in a single column, where Power BI would read the List and interpret as {"Automóvel","Perua/Caminhonete","Caminhão"} (as the example) and understand that it means to count them as individuals values.

If this question wasn't clear enough, let me know so I can try to explain better

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
DataZoe
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous What @Greg_Deckler says is correct, but I can give you a few more insights on how to do that:

In the Transform Data, I would follow these steps:

1. Right-click your table, and choose "Duplicate"

2. In the new table, click the top right and then choose columns

DataZoe_0-1599834857462.png

3. Choose the vehicles and an identifier to the first table (such as AccidentID or something).

4. Click on the column with the multiple vehicles and then go to Split Column --> By Delimiter

DataZoe_1-1599834968271.png

5. On the pop up, change it to by semi-colon and then open Advanced and choose by rows

DataZoe_2-1599835034860.png

6. Now I would remove blanks by clicking on the drop down arrow and choosing "Remove Empty"

DataZoe_3-1599835218716.png

7. Now we can use that split columns again to remove the id from the name.

DataZoe_4-1599835282958.png

Now the table is expanded by vehicle, you join it back to the main table by relationship:

DataZoe_5-1599835354966.png

And use that new table's list of vehicles in your treemap visual:

DataZoe_6-1599835428175.png

Hope that helps!

Respectfully,
Zoe Douglas (DataZoe)

Follow me on LinkedIn at https://www.linkedin.com/in/zoedouglas-data
See my reports and blog at https://www.datazoepowerbi.com/

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
DataZoe
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous What @Greg_Deckler says is correct, but I can give you a few more insights on how to do that:

In the Transform Data, I would follow these steps:

1. Right-click your table, and choose "Duplicate"

2. In the new table, click the top right and then choose columns

DataZoe_0-1599834857462.png

3. Choose the vehicles and an identifier to the first table (such as AccidentID or something).

4. Click on the column with the multiple vehicles and then go to Split Column --> By Delimiter

DataZoe_1-1599834968271.png

5. On the pop up, change it to by semi-colon and then open Advanced and choose by rows

DataZoe_2-1599835034860.png

6. Now I would remove blanks by clicking on the drop down arrow and choosing "Remove Empty"

DataZoe_3-1599835218716.png

7. Now we can use that split columns again to remove the id from the name.

DataZoe_4-1599835282958.png

Now the table is expanded by vehicle, you join it back to the main table by relationship:

DataZoe_5-1599835354966.png

And use that new table's list of vehicles in your treemap visual:

DataZoe_6-1599835428175.png

Hope that helps!

Respectfully,
Zoe Douglas (DataZoe)

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous Can you split them out and then unpivot them in Power Query? Since you have a dynamic number of columns, you would select the columns you didn't want to unpivot and then right-click, Unpivot other columns.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Greg_Deckler I could and it would work, but It would mean 3-6x more rows in my dataset, which is already big (~800.000 rows), plus I would have change all the DAX I've written so far (cause they weren't written for duplicate rows, different only on the vehicles) and I would like to avoid doing that and maintain one row per accident, it would means a whole lot of re-work. I'm trying to find better ways of doing this

@Anonymous To you concerns, if you follow the steps I have provided it won't create additional rows in your main table, just the second one with limited data, and would not be a big impact to performance. You would also not have to rebuild your existing measures.

Respectfully,
Zoe Douglas (DataZoe)

Anonymous
Not applicable

@DataZoe I just read it, I didn't think of that! Creating a duplicated "dimension" table only for the Vehicles could work. Excited to try it, will return to you after.

Edit: @DataZoe  It worked perfectly! Had to do some fine adjustments to the data, and had to enable a "two-way" relationship for it to work as an filter as well. Thank you for your time!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.