Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

roboskoog
Frequent Visitor

Reading Sql Server tables and getting Invalid Object Name errors

I am trying to Read to a Sql Server DB using Power BI Desktop.  I have successfully connected and read other SQL Server DB’s with Power BI.  I can connect to this DB and see the tables in the DB but when I try to read any table, I get the following Error messages and no data is returned.

Invalid object name 'sys.objects'.

Invalid object name 'sys.schemas'.

Invalid object name 'sys.columns'.

Invalid object name 'sys.types'.

Details:

DataSourceKind=SQL

DataSourcePath=144.10.139.184;QODB

Message=Invalid object name 'sys.objects'.

Invalid object name 'sys.schemas'.

Invalid object name 'sys.columns'.

Number=208

Class=16

Anyone else getting this or know how to fix it??

4 REPLIES 4

@roboskoog Is this SQL database different than others? Version, edition, etc?

Do you get the same error if write a query to select the information from the tables?

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

I believe it is the same version of Sql Server.  I just tried to write a query and that seemed to work, but if I select a view in the database, I get the same error.

@roboskoog I've never seen the error, but a quick search brought up a similiar looking error written about by Adam Saxton here

The other thing I would check is that you have the same permissions on this database that you have on the other.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

I checked at the one I am having issues with is a SQL Server 2003 DB.  The one I can read is 2008, following your post from Adam, it looks like that's the underlying issue.  I have the same permissions, so it must be due to the version of the DB. I'll have to write the SQL and use that rather than link to the tables.

Thanks for the info.  it was helpful in debugging..

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.