Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

eacy
Helper II
Helper II

Read date from related row and add offset

Hi,

I would like to do the following in the Query Editor in (M).

I have two challenges, the first one is to be able to read a date a another table (Issues) if a boolean is true for that row and write it into [INITIAL].

If the bolean is false I instead need to read [INITIAL TIME] from the row where [ITEM ID] = [RELATED ITEM ID] and then Date.AddDay([INITIAL TIME], [OFFSET]).

I have hardcoded [INITIAL TIME] for "Issue-1" and the three items belonging to it.

Issues.png

Event.png

The second challenge is to use the [SYSTEM CODE] to decide if I should read the date from the Issues[CREATED] column or Issues[UPDATED] column.

I can decide my self how the content of the [SYSTEM CODE] should look.

This is only an example screenshot because my original is a little to wide to show here. But my M code so far looks like this:

let
    Source = Excel.Workbook(File.Contents("C:\Users\escl\Desktop\Jira Milestone Surveillance\Milestone Events.xlsx"), null, true),
    Sheet1_Sheet = Source{[Item="Sheet1",Kind="Sheet"]}[Data],
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Sheet1_Sheet,{{"Column1", type any}}),
    #"Appended Issues" = Table.Combine({#"Changed Type", Issues}),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Appended Issues",{"Column1"}),
    #"Merged Selection" = Table.NestedJoin(#"Removed Columns",{"TYPE"},#"Selection Profiles",{"TYPE"},"NewColumn",JoinKind.Inner),
    #"Expanded Selection ID" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merged Selection", "NewColumn", {"ID"}, {"NewColumn.ID"}),
    #"Renamed Profile/Issue ID" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Expanded Selection ID",{{"NewColumn.ID", "PROFILE ID"}, {"ID", "ISSUE ID"}}),
    #"Removed Columns1" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Renamed Profile/Issue ID",{"NAME", "DESCRIPTION", "TYPE", "STATUS", "CREATED", "UPDATED", "RESOLUTIONDATE", "ASSIGNEE", "PROJECT"}),
    #"Merged Profiles" = Table.NestedJoin(#"Removed Columns1",{"PROFILE ID"},#"Milestone Profiles",{"ID"},"NewColumn",JoinKind.Inner),
    #"Expanded Profile Type" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merged Profiles", "NewColumn", {"TYPE"}, {"NewColumn.TYPE"}),
    #"Renamed Profile Type" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Expanded Profile Type",{{"NewColumn.TYPE", "PROFILE TYPE"}}),
    #"Merged Item" = Table.NestedJoin(#"Renamed Profile Type",{"PROFILE ID"},Profile_Items,{"PROFILE ID"},"NewColumn",JoinKind.Inner),
    #"Expanded Item Id" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merged Item", "NewColumn", {"ID", "MILESTONE ID", "TRANSIT RELATION ID"}, {"NewColumn.ID", "NewColumn.MILESTONE ID", "NewColumn.TRANSIT RELATION ID"}),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Expanded Item Id",{{"NewColumn.ID", "ITEM ID"}, {"NewColumn.MILESTONE ID", "ITEM MILESTONE ID"}, {"NewColumn.TRANSIT RELATION ID", "TRANSIT RELATION ID"}}),
    #"Merged Milestones" = Table.NestedJoin(#"Renamed Columns",{"ITEM MILESTONE ID"},Milestones,{"ID"},"NewColumn",JoinKind.Inner),
    #"Expanded Milestones" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merged Milestones", "NewColumn", {"ID", "IS SYSTEM", "SYSTEMCODE ID"}, {"NewColumn.ID", "NewColumn.IS SYSTEM", "NewColumn.SYSTEMCODE ID"}),
    #"Renamed Milestone/System Code ID" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Expanded Milestones",{{"NewColumn.ID", "MILESTONE ID"}, {"NewColumn.SYSTEMCODE ID", "MILESTONE SYSTEMCODE ID"}, {"NewColumn.IS SYSTEM", "IS SYSTEM"}}),
    #"Merged System Code" = Table.NestedJoin(#"Renamed Milestone/System Code ID",{"MILESTONE SYSTEMCODE ID"},#"System Codes",{"ID"},"NewColumn",JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    #"Expanded ID/System Code" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merged System Code", "NewColumn", {"ID", "SYSTEMCODE"}, {"NewColumn.ID", "NewColumn.SYSTEMCODE"}),
    #"Renamed System Code" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Expanded ID/System Code",{{"NewColumn.ID", "SYSTEM CODE ID"}, {"NewColumn.SYSTEMCODE", "SYSTEMCODE"}}),
    #"Sorted Rows" = Table.Sort(#"Renamed System Code",{{"ISSUE ID", Order.Ascending}, {"ITEM ID", Order.Ascending}})
in
    #"Sorted Rows"

Hope that somebody can guide me in the right direction.

2 REPLIES 2

Sounds like you could add a custom column with an if statement. The syntax is as follows (case sensitive)

if column1=something then someValue else someOtherValue

you should join the initial table first with a left outlet join to bring in the initial values as a colum, then write the if statement.  After you have what you need, you can delete any other columns

does that help?

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

Hi Matt,

You are right in order to get the initial date for the ones which are [IS SYSTEM] = true, could be archived with a join and an if statement as you suggest.

The difficult part is how to reuse the dates where [IS SYSTEM] rows are referred in the [RELATED ITEM ID] afterward.

As far as I know there is not way to refer to a previous row in the "else" part of your suggested solution.

I believe I need to somehow read the whole table into a function and process it forth and back.

I have tried to use Table.Skip and Table.ReverseRows but my general knowlegde level is simply not high enought to make it work.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors