Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Janet_PHQ
Helper I
Helper I

Re: Compare coverage filtered by country and against global benchmark

Hi there, I have 5 tables: Table 1 is expo events (all category = expo), table 2 festival events (all category = festival), table 3 conference events (all category = conference). The 4th table is a list of unique countries including country code, country names etc. The last one is a small table for a list of unique categories appeared in the big table. I joined table 1,2,3 with table 4 by country code, and table 1,2,3 with table 5 by category ID. Some sample screenshots for table 1,2,3 are below for your reference.

conference.PNG

expo.PNG

festival.PNG

Table 1, 2, 3 each has information for a list of countries (some tables may have over 100 countries). I already created a column "Count" and make it all equal to 1 for each table 1,2, 3. Then created a measure "Total" = count([count]).

Previously what I did is to 'hard code' the total number of events for each country based on different categories, and then I imported this excel table to PBI:

Excel hard coded.PNG

However, to make my visual real time, I designed some measures according to the advice on this post. But in order to have a country % vs global % on a tornado chart like below, I need to design a new table in PBI just like the excel above. 

Global VS Individual.PNG

I am quite new to PBI.  Can anyone offer some advice please? Would really appreciate!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Janet_PHQ,

Based on my understanding, create a new table by clicking the "New Table" under Modeling on Home page. Please try the following formula.

NewTable=SUMMARIZE(Table,Table[country],"community",CALCULATE(SUM(Table1[number]),Filter(Table1,Table1[Category]="community")),"concerts",CALCULATE(SUM(Table2[number]),Filter(Table2,Table2[Category]="concerts")),"conference",CALCULATE(SUM(Table3[number]),Filter(Table3,Table1[Category]="conference")),"expos",CALCULATE(SUM(Table4[number]),Filter(Table4,Table1[Category]="expos"))"festival",CALCULATE(SUM(Table4[number]),Filter(Table4,Table1[Category]="festival")))

Please change the Table names as yours.

Best Regards,
Angelia

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Janet_PHQ,

Based on my understanding, you your requirement, you'd better create a new table by "New Table" under Modeling on Home page. Because the category values come from different tables. If you want the new table real time, everytime the new table will update as you refresh your resource table by "Refresh" on home page.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Thanks Angelia!

Yes but that's the thing I already knew. The problem is, I don't know how to create this table? 😞 Can you advise?

Cheers,

Janet

Hi @Janet_PHQ

Do you mind share your .pbix file for further analysis? So that we can post the solution which is close to your requirement.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Thanks for your kind reply!

Sorry the file is over 1G so uploading can't be possible. Also, there is security reason invovled. 

Hi @Janet_PHQ,

Based on my understanding, create a new table by clicking the "New Table" under Modeling on Home page. Please try the following formula.

NewTable=SUMMARIZE(Table,Table[country],"community",CALCULATE(SUM(Table1[number]),Filter(Table1,Table1[Category]="community")),"concerts",CALCULATE(SUM(Table2[number]),Filter(Table2,Table2[Category]="concerts")),"conference",CALCULATE(SUM(Table3[number]),Filter(Table3,Table1[Category]="conference")),"expos",CALCULATE(SUM(Table4[number]),Filter(Table4,Table1[Category]="expos"))"festival",CALCULATE(SUM(Table4[number]),Filter(Table4,Table1[Category]="festival")))

Please change the Table names as yours.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Hi Angelia,

Thanks for your kind advice. Just tried it and it worked like a charm 🙂

Enjoy your weekend!

Janet

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors