Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Sandeep_rai
Regular Visitor

Re Basing the value on the basis of dynamic selection of another value

Hello, 

I am trying to create a visualisation that will show movement of all share classes against a "Base share class". The user shall have an option to change the share class probably from a drop down and the dashboard shall update the calculation accordingly. Below is a table to help understand the scenario better. 

There are 3 share classes at different NAV dates. For eg- If user want to select share class A as "Base share class" in that case NAV of share Class of B & C on different dates shall be divided by NAV of share class A and then plot the values on graph. Same way if user selects the share class B then the same calculation shall be repeated for different nav dates.  

I have two questions for same

1. Is there anyway i can acheive the above calculation?

2.  (This is a sepearate query from above) -Is there any feature in PBI which helps me in generating dynamic graphs on the basis of a variable factor. For eg:- In the below data there are 3 share classes , so 3 individual graphs can be created. If my data set has 4 share classes then in that case 4 graphs are generated. 

share_partner_classnavdate_1navdate_2net_nav_share
A01/03/201901/03/20192.150803356
A04/03/201904/03/20192.160175139
A05/03/201905/03/20192.15863532
B01/03/201901/03/20192.189851624
B04/03/201904/03/20192.19944201
B05/03/201905/03/20192.197900602
C01/03/201901/03/20190.952177298
C04/03/201904/03/20190.95635438
C05/03/201905/03/20190.955684664

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi, @Sandeep_rai ,

Maybe you can use line chart , first create a slicer table  and use  it for slicer:

slicer = VALUES('Table'[Share class])

Then create the following measure for line chart value:

Measure =
IF (
    HASONEVALUE ( slicer[Share class] ),
    SWITCH (
        SELECTEDVALUE ( slicer[Share class] ),
        "A",
            IF (
                MAX ( 'Table'[Share class] ) = "A",
                BLANK (),
                MAX ( 'Table'[NAV] )
                    / CALCULATE ( MAX ( 'Table'[NAV] ), 'Table'[Share class] = "A" )
            ),
        "B",
            IF (
                MAX ( 'Table'[Share class] ) = "B",
                BLANK (),
                MAX ( 'Table'[NAV] )
                    / CALCULATE ( MAX ( 'Table'[NAV] ), 'Table'[Share class] = "B" )
            ),
        "C",
            IF (
                MAX ( 'Table'[Share class] ) = "C",
                BLANK (),
                MAX ( 'Table'[NAV] )
                    / CALCULATE ( MAX ( 'Table'[NAV] ), 'Table'[Share class] = "C" )
            )
    ),
    MAX ( 'Table'[NAV] )
)

For more details, please refer to the pbix file: https://qiuyunus-my.sharepoint.com/:u:/g/personal/pbipro_qiuyunus_onmicrosoft_com/EbkrYCycLfxKqdOJ_O...

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Sandeep_rai - Small multiples are not quite here yet (soon). I believe this is what you are talking about. For now you will need to use something like a line chart with your share in the legend or manually create multiple charts and filter them to the individual share types.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Sandeep_rai , The information you have provided is not making the problem clear to me. Can you please explain with an example.
You can try Sankey Visual

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/visual-awesomeness-unlocked-sankey-diagram/

Appreciate your Kudos.

Thanks for replying amit. I will try to rephrase the question again. 

I am trying to do a calculation in PBI which will eventually help me in creating the visualisation. 

There are 3 share classes , A, B & C . NAV of each share class is calculated at regular interval ( for this example lets suppose daily). Now if i want to compare the performance of 1 share class against other share classes I will have to recalcuate the NAV of other 2 share classes.  So in the below example- If i select "A" as a base share class in a drop down, then on each NAV date ie 01/03/2019, 04/03/2019 & 05/03/2019, NAV of Share class B & C shall be divided by share class A. Now as a user if i want to change my base share class to "B" same calculation shall happen automatically i.e NAV of share class A & C shall be divided by share class B on each NAV date and the graph shall be updated automatically once the calculation is done. 

Is there anyway i can share my whole report as i don't see an attachement section here if this is not clear

Share classNav DateNAV
A01/03/20192.15080
A04/03/20192.16018
A05/03/20192.15864
B01/03/20192.18985
B04/03/20192.19944
B05/03/20192.19790
C01/03/20190.95218
C04/03/20190.95635
C05/03/20190.95568

Hi, @Sandeep_rai ,

Maybe you can use line chart , first create a slicer table  and use  it for slicer:

slicer = VALUES('Table'[Share class])

Then create the following measure for line chart value:

Measure =
IF (
    HASONEVALUE ( slicer[Share class] ),
    SWITCH (
        SELECTEDVALUE ( slicer[Share class] ),
        "A",
            IF (
                MAX ( 'Table'[Share class] ) = "A",
                BLANK (),
                MAX ( 'Table'[NAV] )
                    / CALCULATE ( MAX ( 'Table'[NAV] ), 'Table'[Share class] = "A" )
            ),
        "B",
            IF (
                MAX ( 'Table'[Share class] ) = "B",
                BLANK (),
                MAX ( 'Table'[NAV] )
                    / CALCULATE ( MAX ( 'Table'[NAV] ), 'Table'[Share class] = "B" )
            ),
        "C",
            IF (
                MAX ( 'Table'[Share class] ) = "C",
                BLANK (),
                MAX ( 'Table'[NAV] )
                    / CALCULATE ( MAX ( 'Table'[NAV] ), 'Table'[Share class] = "C" )
            )
    ),
    MAX ( 'Table'[NAV] )
)

For more details, please refer to the pbix file: https://qiuyunus-my.sharepoint.com/:u:/g/personal/pbipro_qiuyunus_onmicrosoft_com/EbkrYCycLfxKqdOJ_O...

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.