Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Rate of Return time series calculation

Hello everyone,

I would like to calculate a time series of [Rate of Return] of an index and need your help.

By calculating the returns, I want to display the current price [Close] in relation to a starting price [Previous Close Price], based on a user-defined time period. While [Close] changes correspondingly for each date, [Previous Close Price] should always refer to the value of the first date in the selected period (see Slicer à e.g. 19.02.2020).

example.png

Example: the formula to calculate the [Rate of Return] for the date of 21.02.2020 should be as follows:

[Rate of Return of 21.02.2020] = ( [Close of 21.02.2020] – [Previous Close Price of 19.02.2020]) / [Previous Close Price of 19.02.2020]

With this DAX, I have tried to solve the problem. But unfortunately, the [Rate of Return] is always calculated referring to  [Previous Close Price] of the previous row.

Rate of Return = 
//Create table corresponding to user-defined period
VAR
table_timeperiod = FILTER('Historical Data', 'Historical Data'[Date] >= [minSelectedDate] && 'Historical Data'[Date] <= [maxSelectedDate])

//Determine PreviousClosePrice of first date
VAR
PreviousClose_t0 = CALCULATE(
    MAX('Historical Data'[Previous Close Price]), FILTER('Historical Data', 'Historical Data'[Date] = [minSelectedDate])
)
RETURN

//Calculate RateofReturn for each row (=date) 
CALCULATE(
    SUMX('Historical Data', ('Historical Data'[Close]- PreviousClose_t0) / PreviousClose_t0), 
    table_timeperiod)

Basically, I want to create the scheme of a YTD return time series calculation (for each date within the selected period). However, with a start date that has not necessarily to be the beginning of a year.

Do you have any ideas how do adjust my DAX? Thank you so much for your help.

Regards.

1 REPLY 1
V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous 

YTD Return Rate for a variable time period - Microsoft Power BI Community

Is this same question from you? If so, can you delete the old post and share your sample under the new post?

Regards
Paul

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.