Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Rankx not working when new measure is added

I am experiencing a problem concerning my ranking formula and I am absolutely clueless to why.  I cannot share the model as it contains contains company information. I will try to create a picture with screenshots where I have removed the names. My goal is to create two ranking measures: 1. ranking based on sales and 2. ranking based on margin.

pbi1.png

Right now I have come to the point where I have stripped all non related relations from the model but the ranking problem persists.

This is my current model: A FactSales table with one Store dimension table linked using a Many-to-One Single direction relation, based on the key.

How do my ranking measures look?

1. Rank Sales = RANKX(ALLSELECTED(Store[Store Number]);CALCULATE([Sales - EUR]))
  2. Rank Margin = RANKX(ALLSELECTED(Store[Store Number]);CALCULATE([Margin - EUR]))

Then, if I just create a grid with Store Number, Margin and Rank Margin, everything looks fine:

pbi2.png

When I add the simple Sales measure, things start to get wrong. I cannot see why this is happening. The sales measure is simply Sum(Sales). See below.

pbi3.png

I have also tried changing my ranking measure to below variants. This will achieve also incorrect results however.

1. Rank Margin = RANKX(ALLSELECTED(Store);CALCULATE([Margin - EUR]))
  2. Rank Margin = RANKX(ALL (Store);CALCULATE([Margin - EUR]))

I would appreciate your help on where to look next a lot. I cannot seem to understand why the ranking measure at first looks fine, but when I add a sales measure, it starts to get wrong.

Thanks a lot in advance.

6 REPLIES 6
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous ,

Please use dax below instead:

Rank Sales =
RANKX (
    FILTER ( 'Store'; 'Store'[Store Number] IN VALUES ( 'Store'[Store Number] ) );
    CALCULATE ( [Sales - EUR] )
)

Rank Margin =
RANKX (
    FILTER ( 'Store'; 'Store'[Store Number] IN VALUES ( 'Store'[Store Number] ) );
    CALCULATE ( [Margin - EUR] )
)

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you very much for your answer. I have tried your DAX code and it is not working either.

I think it is something in the relation, composition of the table or whatsoever. I have created a mockup model with very simple self created data in excel. The exact same measures as I have been using in my real model gave the correct results.

I simply do not know where to look for. If you have any suggestion what could produce my miraculous results, it would be awesome.

Thanks anyway for all your help!

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

I did not get it completely. But you need to use dense option. Chnage the values of last two parameters in RANKX.

Also refer this :https://radacad.com/how-to-use-rankx-in-dax-part-2-of-3-calculated-measures

Anonymous
Not applicable

Simply put:

My rankx measure is working. However, when I add a random other measure (f.e. sales) to the same grid, it stops working correctly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous 

refer this ,

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/RANKX-does-not-work-for-me-Any-help-appreciated/td-p/147705

Cheers,

Pravin Wattamwar

If it resolves your problem mark it as a solution and give kudos.

Anonymous
Not applicable

A calculated column is unfortunately not the solution as slicing by other dimensions is required. 😞

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.