Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Rankx all return 1

First time using the rankx. Trying to use the rankx function to return employee sales rank but somehow all return 1.

table 1 is the simple sales table. hoping to return result like table 2. 

My sales rank = rankx(allselected(sales[employee number]), sum(sales[sales amount]))

Can anyone see what is wrong here? thanks.

employee number sales amount sales date
100801 1 02/04/16
100801203/05/16
100801406/05/16
100806201/04/16
100806101/05/15
100806101/05/16
100806403/04/16
100806308/05/16
100807402/05/15

crew employee number sales amount sales rank

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous CALCULATE() converts a row context to a filter context. Without it the row context at each step in the iteration doesn't work properly with the filter context coming from the ALLSELECTED(). You get an implicit CALCULATE when you reference an existing measure like this:

Total Sales = SUM(sales[sales amount])

Sales Rank = RANKX (ALLSELECTED(sales[employee number]), [Total Sales])

...but when you spell out the expression instead of using a measure you also have to spell out the invisible CALCULATE yourself. The above formula is identical to your

Sales Rank = RANKX( ALLSELECTED(sales[employee number]), CALCULATE( SUM(sales[sales amount]))

This article might help to explain it.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ended up with this. It worked but still no idea why?

sales rank = rankx(allselected(sales[employee number]), calculate(sum(sales[sales amount])))

@Anonymous CALCULATE() converts a row context to a filter context. Without it the row context at each step in the iteration doesn't work properly with the filter context coming from the ALLSELECTED(). You get an implicit CALCULATE when you reference an existing measure like this:

Total Sales = SUM(sales[sales amount])

Sales Rank = RANKX (ALLSELECTED(sales[employee number]), [Total Sales])

...but when you spell out the expression instead of using a measure you also have to spell out the invisible CALCULATE yourself. The above formula is identical to your

Sales Rank = RANKX( ALLSELECTED(sales[employee number]), CALCULATE( SUM(sales[sales amount]))

This article might help to explain it.

I am trying the same stuff but instead of SUM I am trying to get Rank by order of the date but it returns all 1s

Rank = RANKX(ALLSELECTED(Query1[UserName]),CALCULATE(MAX(Query1[StartDate])))

Would appreciate any wisdom here..

@PowerBIArtistdid you enter this as a measure or a column?

OK I did some testing with my own data. That ALLSELECTED thing was a specific case for the other person's presentation of data. If you're just going to drop a big list of people and rank them by date, just use ALL(Query1) instead of ALLSELCTED(Query1[UserName]). ALLSELECTED forces each user to be their own set of data to be ranked individually against themselves instead of everyone else, so among all the users that are that one user, they are all rank 1.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I still do not understand how does it work. I want to rank project name base on project value. 

I have rankx=rankx(All(Merge1[Project Name]),sum(Merge1[TOtal project construction Value]))

but rank returns 1

Please help

Anonymous
Not applicable

@KHorseman Absolutely spot on! The link is also very useful. An eye opening lesson for Dax. Thanks.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.