Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ranking multiple columns

Hi Power BI community. I am relatively new to Power BI so bear with me. 

I have a table of data where each row represents a production run on a specific by a specific team on a specific model etc. There are many different defects that can occur and they are each respresented with a column in the table. For example, a production run on 9/9/19 could have a value of 200 in the 'Input' column, a value of 2 in the 'Defect 1' column, and a value of 10 in the 'Defect 7' column. The rest of the Defect columns in that row would have a value of zero in them.

I have a visual that shows the frequency that each specific defect occurs according to a date hierarchy. Say there are 10 defects. I would like to be able to make the visual only show the top three defects for a specific date range determined by a slicer.

I have looked into this and could only find information relating to the RANKX function which ranks values in a column. Since I need to rank actual columns by their sum this was not helpful to me. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

Hello @Anonymous 

The only way I know of to do what you are looking for is to unpivot the defects informatoin so you end up with 2 columns, defect type and value.  Then you can do the ranking on the value column.

Top 3 defects = 
VAR RankingContext = VALUES ( Defects[Defect] )
RETURN
CALCULATE(
    [Defect Amount],
    TOPN ( 3, ALL ( Defects[Defect] ), [Defect Amount] ),
    RankingContext
)

Top3Defects.jpg

I have attached my sample file for you to look at.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

Hello @Anonymous 

The only way I know of to do what you are looking for is to unpivot the defects informatoin so you end up with 2 columns, defect type and value.  Then you can do the ranking on the value column.

Top 3 defects = 
VAR RankingContext = VALUES ( Defects[Defect] )
RETURN
CALCULATE(
    [Defect Amount],
    TOPN ( 3, ALL ( Defects[Defect] ), [Defect Amount] ),
    RankingContext
)

Top3Defects.jpg

I have attached my sample file for you to look at.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.