Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Penn
Resolver I
Resolver I

Ranking changes when applying filters

Hi all,

I have a example dataset that look like this.

Item IDItem GroupCostRevenue
ITEM001A12
ITEM002B25
ITEM001A13
ITEM003A13
ITEM002B23
ITEM004B34

And I created measures to turn it into the table visulisation as below.

Display Revenue = CALCULATE(SUM('Sales'[Revenue]))
Display Cost = CALCULATE(SUM('Sales'[Cost]))
Display Margin = [Display Revenue] - [Display Cost]
Item IDItem GroupCostRevenueMargin
ITEM001A253
ITEM002B484
ITEM003A132
ITEM004B341

Then I created a measure to do the ranking from the highest margin to the lowest.

Ranking = RANKX(ALL('Sales'[Item ID]), [Display Margin],,,Skip) 

It works fine (as the table below) if I don't apply any filter.

Item IDItem GroupCostRevenueMarginRanking
ITEM001A2532
ITEM002B4841
ITEM003A1323
ITEM004B3414

However, when I tried to add an Item Group slicer, the ranking breaks up in a strange way. It probably won't show up with the sample dataset but it has a huge impact on the real dataset.

1.jpg

The expected result should be something like the table below when applying Item Group A filter.

Item IDItem GroupCostRevenueMarginRanking
ITEM001A2531
ITEM003A1322

How can I fix this? Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Penn your ranking expression should be as below

Ranking = RANKX(ALL('Sales'[Item Group],'Sales'[Item ID]), [Display Margin],,,Skip) 

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Penn your ranking expression should be as below

Ranking = RANKX(ALL('Sales'[Item Group],'Sales'[Item ID]), [Display Margin],,,Skip) 

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Hi there,

For some reason this meansure doesn't work for me, there is still a big jump in the rankings from 327 to 1127. It might because I have more columns in my table. Will look into this today. Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.