Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jawilson808
Helper I
Helper I

Ranking by Business date and day of Week

Hi All!

Looking for some assistance. What seems relatively easy is causing me some difficulty. I am looking to rank my sales by different date slicers including the day of week. I have two different tables, one containing my calculated measures derived from other tables and another table containing my dates. When adding in my sales measure and day of week dimension into a matrix, the following formula seems to work somewhat ok if my date slicer is set to week. I say somewhat because it doesn't seem to rank properly, nor does it rank 1 - 7 with one being the highest day.

Sales Rank = RANKX(all([BusinessDate]),[CY Sales],,DESC,Dense)
jawilson808_0-1641588354821.png

When I set my page level slicer to This month it returns all ones. However, if I add dates to the table it then returns some values. But again the ranking doesn't seem to be accurate.
jawilson808_1-1641588468604.png

What am I doing wrong? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@jawilson808 , A measure rank repeat for any other column used then the one used in rank.

Sales Rank = RANKX(all([BusinessDate]),[CY Sales],,DESC,Dense)

It means when you use day week, rank will done for Business date inside Day of week

Try like

Sales Rank = RANKX(all([BusinessDate], [Day of week]),[CY Sales],,DESC,Dense)

Hi @amitchandak,

Thank you for getting back to me. The formula you provided works similar to the one that I was able to come up with. However, if the slicer is filtered for the month and the table only contains day of week, it returns all 1's, however, if its filter for a week, it does return a rank.

If the table contains both date and day of week it does return a rank. In an ideal solution, I would like to be able to rank the entire month, year, week and etc as an aggregate to day of week and not have to include date depending on how the user filters the report. 

See screenshots below of what returned with the update to the formula. 

Filtered by month

jawilson808_2-1641835545565.png

Filtered by week

jawilson808_1-1641835509082.png

jawilson808
Helper I
Helper I

I've have almost figured it out. I updated the formula to 

SalesDOW Rank =
RANKX(ALLSELECTED(BusinessDate),
Calculate([CY Sales]),,DESC)

When doing so, it properly ranks by business date and day of week. However, if I filter my results for month or year, my table in which contains only the measures I want by day of week, it is not aggregating all days of week together. 

This is good
jawilson808_0-1641592726283.png

This is not good when filtering by month in the top matrix. The bottom matrix however is ok. 

jawilson808_1-1641592781336.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.