Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mamsteroonie
Helper I
Helper I

Ranking Top 10 for Past 7 Days

How do I rank a sum of a value utilizing a date to calcluate the past 7 days? 

Currently I have a calc column:

ThisWeekLastWeek = IF([Local Date]>=TODAY()-7,"This Week",IF(AND([Local Date]>=TODAY()-14,[Local Date]<TODAY()-7),"Last Week"))

Then I convert to a measure ThisWeekLastWeek1= Max(ThisWeekLastWeek)

Then I do the ranking:
Ranking = IF([ThisWeekLastWeek1]="This Week",RANKX(ALLSELECTED(Table[Name]),CALCULATE(SUM(Table[Value]))),10000)

I get the correct ranks for the top 4 or 5 but then it does not correctly rank for the last 5... please help!
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I went about it this way: rather than creating a week column like you did, I simply created a measure for "Sales Last 7 Days":

Sales Last 7 Days = SUMX(FILTER(sales, DATEDIFF(sales[Date],MAX(sales[Date]),DAY) < 7),sales[Revenue])

I used a sample PowerBI Dashboard in a Day dataset, so I used MAX(sales[Date]) as the comparison, rather than something like TODAY() as the dataset is somewhat stale. From there, you can simply use the "Top N" filtering functionality on whatever dimension you're ranking (in my case I used ProductID).
Rank Last 7 Days Sales.PNG

Let me know if this helps.

Ben

View solution in original post

Thanks for the quick reply.  I ended up using a measure as you mentioned.  But what really helped me was using a date dimension to calculate the last 7 days.  I have noticed that whenever I'm using time for anything, my data is skewed if I dont use a date table.  That helped me get the right values...then I needed to rank them - and I used the Top N function for the CATEGORY, (not the measure itself which stumped me for a while since it was not available at the measure level).

Thanks again!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I went about it this way: rather than creating a week column like you did, I simply created a measure for "Sales Last 7 Days":

Sales Last 7 Days = SUMX(FILTER(sales, DATEDIFF(sales[Date],MAX(sales[Date]),DAY) < 7),sales[Revenue])

I used a sample PowerBI Dashboard in a Day dataset, so I used MAX(sales[Date]) as the comparison, rather than something like TODAY() as the dataset is somewhat stale. From there, you can simply use the "Top N" filtering functionality on whatever dimension you're ranking (in my case I used ProductID).
Rank Last 7 Days Sales.PNG

Let me know if this helps.

Ben

Thanks for the quick reply.  I ended up using a measure as you mentioned.  But what really helped me was using a date dimension to calculate the last 7 days.  I have noticed that whenever I'm using time for anything, my data is skewed if I dont use a date table.  That helped me get the right values...then I needed to rank them - and I used the Top N function for the CATEGORY, (not the measure itself which stumped me for a while since it was not available at the measure level).

Thanks again!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.