Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

nnouchi
Helper I
Helper I

Ranking Cumulative Total

Greetings PBI Community,

I'm having issues with figuring out how to write a DAX formula that would calculate the rank of different part_numbers based off of their cumulative total. 

This is my current formula but it's all wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

= RANKX(Distributor_Item_Orders, Distributor_Item_Orders[Shipped_quantity],  , ASC)

This is an example of what I'd like to see, just a simple breakdown of ranking by quantity size, there may be multiple rows with the same part number as well.

PBI Community Post Example.PNG

Thanks,

Nic N

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

I see what I did, the ALL needs to be ALL ( Table[column] ) not just ALL ( Table).  So using the Contoso DB:  

We have colors on rows, so that is the inital filter context.  Have a measure to count the # of products from the products table.  So with colors on rows, we will get the amount of products filtered by the color.

Base Measure:

Total Products = COUNTROWS('Product')

Rank Measure:

RANK = 
RANKX(
    ALL( 'Product'[Color]),
    [Total Products])

Table.png

Using ALLSELECTED will give a "local" rank vs. a "global" rank of using ALL:

RANK Using AllSelect = 
RANKX(
    ALLSELECTED( 'Product'[Color]),
    [Total Products])

Table with AllSelected.png

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Couple thinngs to keep in mind with RANKX:

1) need to use ALL ( Table).  Otherwise when it goes to rank, it will only "See" the current row. So every rank will be 1

2) The Expression used either needs to be a measure (which would be in [measure]) or wrapped in CALCULATE.  Both accomplish the same thing, which is context transition (which turns the current row context into an equivalent filter context) 

3) The HASONEVALUE removes a rank from the grand/subtotals.  But that is optional

RankX Example=
IF(
	HASONEVALUE( Distributor_Item_Orders[Part_Number),
		RANKX(
		ALL ( Distributor_Item_Orders),
		CALCULATE( SUM(Distributor_Item_Orders[Shipped_quantity])),
		ASC
	)
)

Nick,

I appreciate the feedback and support, the formula is working slightly when I use ALLSELECTED(), However the ranking is still not correct when comparing the total quantity of a part number. 

Any suggestions?Capture.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

can you post some data?  

The data I am working is unfortunately confidential and I would be breaching my company's external data sharing policy. 

I'm only using one table with a quantity amount column and text-based part number column.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I see what I did, the ALL needs to be ALL ( Table[column] ) not just ALL ( Table).  So using the Contoso DB:  

We have colors on rows, so that is the inital filter context.  Have a measure to count the # of products from the products table.  So with colors on rows, we will get the amount of products filtered by the color.

Base Measure:

Total Products = COUNTROWS('Product')

Rank Measure:

RANK = 
RANKX(
    ALL( 'Product'[Color]),
    [Total Products])

Table.png

Using ALLSELECTED will give a "local" rank vs. a "global" rank of using ALL:

RANK Using AllSelect = 
RANKX(
    ALLSELECTED( 'Product'[Color]),
    [Total Products])

Table with AllSelected.png

Thanks Nick, I found out the reason behind why it was originally showing in order, I had negative quantities in my table that were being calculated in the ranking and that I needed to filter within the report. I appreciate the help.

Anonymous
Not applicable

no problem. ill just use some dummy data from the sample DBs that msft puts out. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.