Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RashmitaR
Helper IV
Helper IV

Rank values based on Month filter

Hi,

I have the following columns,

1. child library
  2. no. of views
  3. month
  4. month-year

I wanted to find the rank of child librarues based on the number of views ,the rank must change according to the month-year selected in the filter.Eg, if all the month-year are selected then the collective rank of the chid library must be shown .If i choose sept-2016 the according to the number of views in sept-2016 the rank of the libraries must be shown.

I have used below calculation to calculate the sum of views according to chid libraries and month-year

View Count = IF([File Accessed]="File Accesses",1,0)

Views_month-year = CALCULATE(COUNT(F_KNO_FILEACCESSED_AUDITSPLIT[View Count]),ALL(F_KNO_FILEACCESSED_AUDITSPLIT[Month-Year].[Month]),ALLEXCEPT(F_KNO_FILEACCESSED_AUDITSPLIT,F_KNO_FILEACCESSED_AUDITSPLIT[Child_Library]))

and the below calculation to find the rank

Views_Rank_month-year = RANKX(F_KNO_FILEACCESSED_AUDITSPLIT,F_KNO_FILEACCESSED_AUDITSPLIT[Views_month-year],,DESC,Dense)

community question.JPG

As you can see I am missing out rank 30,31 etc

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi RashmitaR,

Based on test, it works on my side, below is the test sample:

Capture.PNG

Merge the records:

Table = DISTINCT( SELECTCOLUMNS(Test,"Child",Test[child_library],"Month",FORMAT( Test[month-year],"mmmm-yyyy"),"View Count",SUMX(FILTER(ALLSELECTED(Test),Test[month-year].[Month]=EARLIER(Test[month-year].[Month])&& Test[child_library]=EARLIER(Test[child_library])),Test[no. of views])))

Capture2.PNG

Rank measure:

Rank = RANKX(ALLSELECTED('Table'),CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[View Count])),,DESC,Dense)

Create a table visual and set columns to don’t summarize:

Capture3.PNG

Capture4.PNG

I agree with BhaveshPatel’s point, if ‘Views_Rank_month-year’ is a calculated column instead of a measure, the rank values is fixed when you display in the table, so after you set the visual level filter, it just filter records for those rank values.  If it’s a measure, your issue may related to calculate columns, I would suggest you insert a new table, drag [Child_Library], [file Accessed], ‘View Count’, ‘Views_month-year’ and ‘Views_Rank_month-year’ to the table to find whether the missed records can display. Also please enable ‘Show items with no data’ for each field in the table.

1.png

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi RashmitaR,

Based on test, it works on my side, below is the test sample:

Capture.PNG

Merge the records:

Table = DISTINCT( SELECTCOLUMNS(Test,"Child",Test[child_library],"Month",FORMAT( Test[month-year],"mmmm-yyyy"),"View Count",SUMX(FILTER(ALLSELECTED(Test),Test[month-year].[Month]=EARLIER(Test[month-year].[Month])&& Test[child_library]=EARLIER(Test[child_library])),Test[no. of views])))

Capture2.PNG

Rank measure:

Rank = RANKX(ALLSELECTED('Table'),CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[View Count])),,DESC,Dense)

Create a table visual and set columns to don’t summarize:

Capture3.PNG

Capture4.PNG

I agree with BhaveshPatel’s point, if ‘Views_Rank_month-year’ is a calculated column instead of a measure, the rank values is fixed when you display in the table, so after you set the visual level filter, it just filter records for those rank values.  If it’s a measure, your issue may related to calculate columns, I would suggest you insert a new table, drag [Child_Library], [file Accessed], ‘View Count’, ‘Views_month-year’ and ‘Views_Rank_month-year’ to the table to find whether the missed records can display. Also please enable ‘Show items with no data’ for each field in the table.

1.png

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-shex-msft thank you so much that helped.

BhaveshPatel
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi There,

There are no. of reasons for this behaviour as RANKX is bit tricky to handle. Can you please share sample file to get exact solution.

This calculated column seems culprit for this behaviour.

"Views_month-year = CALCULATE(COUNT(F_KNO_FILEACCESSED_AUDITSPLIT[View Count]),ALL(F_KNO_FILEACCESSED_AUDITSPLIT[Month-Year].[Month]),ALLEXCEPT(F_KNO_FILEACCESSED_AUDITSPLIT,F_KNO_FILEACCESSED_AUDITSPLIT[Child_Library]))"

Thanks & Regards,

Bhavesh

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.

Hi @BhaveshPatel,

As my model contains some confidential data I cannot share it with anyone.

Thanks,

Rashmita Reddy.

Ok Not a Problem. 

Can you please try to explain what do you trying to calculate in this column.

"Views_month-year = CALCULATE(COUNT(F_KNO_FILEACCESSED_AUDITSPLIT[View Count]),ALL(F_KNO_FILEACCESSED_AUDITSPLIT[Month-Year].[Month]),ALLEXCEPT(F_KNO_FILEACCESSED_AUDITSPLIT,F_KNO_FILEACCESSED_AUDITSPLIT[Child_Library]))"

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.