Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

patoduck
Helper III
Helper III

Rank over partition multiple columns in Power Query NOT DAX!

I have the following table 

documenttopicgamma

And I need to return  only the topic with the highest gamma per document so it will look like this

documenttopicgamma

In case of ties really doesnt matter, so it will be like a row_number over partition in SQL.

@ImkeFpiece of cake? 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Hi @patoduck ,

yes, please try the following code (paste into the advanced editor and check what it does):

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlTSAWMDPSMLSwMzI1OlWB2IqBFE1NTcwhBJ1BgiamRmiqzWBEPUCGGusamFiaUhXBRmrom5oTlc0BirUqix5iBhpdhYAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [document = _t, topic = _t, gamma = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"document", Int64.Type}, {"topic", Int64.Type}, {"gamma", type number}}),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Changed Type", {"document"}, {{"All", each Table.SelectRows(_, (x) => (x[gamma] = List.Max(_[gamma]))){0}}}),
    #"Expanded All" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Grouped Rows", "All", {"topic", "gamma"}, {"topic", "gamma"})
in
    #"Expanded All"

If your raw data has all rows for one document in a sequence, you can even use GroupKind.Local to speed up the calculation considerably:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlTSAWMDPSMLSwMzI1OlWB2IqBFE1NTcwhBJ1BgiamRmiqzWBEPUCGGusamFiaUhXBRmrom5oTlc0BirUqix5iBhpdhYAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [document = _t, topic = _t, gamma = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"document", Int64.Type}, {"topic", Int64.Type}, {"gamma", type number}}),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Changed Type", {"document"}, {{"All", each Table.SelectRows(_, (x) => (x[gamma] = List.Max(_[gamma]))){0}}}, GroupKind.Local),
    #"Expanded All" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Grouped Rows", "All", {"topic", "gamma"}, {"topic", "gamma"})
in
    #"Expanded All"

But this only works if they are all nicely in one sequence each.

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Hi @patoduck ,

yes, please try the following code (paste into the advanced editor and check what it does):

let
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Changed Type", {"document"}, {{"All", each Table.SelectRows(_, (x) => (x[gamma] = List.Max(_[gamma]))){0}}}),
in
    #"Expanded All"

If your raw data has all rows for one document in a sequence, you can even use GroupKind.Local to speed up the calculation considerably:

let
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Changed Type", {"document"}, {{"All", each Table.SelectRows(_, (x) => (x[gamma] = List.Max(_[gamma]))){0}}}, GroupKind.Local),
in
    #"Expanded All"

But this only works if they are all nicely in one sequence each.

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Will you be displaying this data on report or you want it as a table in the report?

Thanks.

It will be a dimension in the data model.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Try using the below DAX to create the new table from the existing table.

In the below example 'Data' is the name of my existing table and 'Filtered Data' is the new derived dimension.

Filtered Data = 
FILTER(Data, 
RANKX(
        FILTER(
                Data,
                Data[document]=EARLIER(Data[document])
                ),
        Data[gamma]
        ) == 1 )

Thanks.

Thanks, but I need a Power Query, ETL side solution, not DAX as this will affect performance, table contains a large number of rows.

Just to clarify DAX and M language (Power Query) are different languages , therefore the title in my question.

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi,

In the below example 'Data' is the name of my existing table and 'Filtered Data' is the new derived dimension.

Filtered Data = 
FILTER(Data, 
RANKX(
        FILTER(
                Data,
                ),
        Data[gamma]
        ) == 1 )

Thanks.

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi,

Filtered Data = 
FILTER(Data, 
RANKX(
        FILTER(
                Data,
                ),
        Data[gamma]
        ) == 1 )

Thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh.Apologies. I missed it.

Can you check if the below video is what you need?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7paK0yS5ic

Thanks.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.