Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dphillips
Helper IV
Helper IV

Rank based on a measure

I have marks from students who have completed some tests. I have created a measure which gives me the average of the students results.

Scld Mark Ave =  AVERAGE(uncRedshift_Studentresults[Scld])

I have slicers on the page which filter the Fileyear and Student_ID so I get an average Scaled mark for a particular student in a particular year. This works fine.

Now I would love to give a rank to each student eg Student_ID 1234 with an average scaled mark of 62.45 is ranked 78th out of the whole year group of 230 Year 9 students in 2018. In other words, I want to rank the average scaled mark for this student against the average scaled mark for everyone else in the Year Group for a particular year. I want to put this in a card eg "78 out of 230". Not sure at all how to go about doing this?

I have provided some data with students with scaled marks in their subjects by Year and YearLevel.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pYOpN_q_5KTVxu6ZqRqFIrOUiJLxS38XDubrNVWwdSo/edit?usp=sharing

Any help would be much appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@dphillips add following measure for rank 

Rank = 
RANKX( 
    FILTER( 
        ALL( Sheet1[FileYear], Sheet1[StudentYearLevel], Sheet1[StudentID] ),
        Sheet1[FileYear] = MAX(Sheet1[FileYear]) && 
        Sheet1[StudentYearLevel] = MAX( Sheet1[StudentYearLevel] )  
    ), 
    [Average Marks], , ASC, Dense
)

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@dphillips add following measure for rank 

Rank = 
RANKX( 
    FILTER( 
        ALL( Sheet1[FileYear], Sheet1[StudentYearLevel], Sheet1[StudentID] ),
        Sheet1[FileYear] = MAX(Sheet1[FileYear]) && 
        Sheet1[StudentYearLevel] = MAX( Sheet1[StudentYearLevel] )  
    ), 
    [Average Marks], , ASC, Dense
)

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

@parry2k  - Thanks for the info. I keep getting a rank of 1 for any student I select. Have looked at your measure and tested filters, and the aggregations used, substituted in actual values etc, but I still always get a rank of 1 no matter which student I select. Any thoughts about what I am doing wrong? This is my measure for getting the average scaled mark for a student.

Average Marks = AVERAGE([ScldMark])

I then have slicers on the page for Fileyear, StudentYearLevel and StudentID.

I want this to be displayed in a card on its own.

Perhaps the problem is that this needs to be in a table or matrix so it can rank against the other values in the visual. If that is the case, how can I get this to be a standalone rank in a card? (Just tested this theory in a table and found that your measure works great - everything correct  - thanks so much - but as I said - I want to try and create a kpi matrix which uses a card with just the rank for that one student)

Any thoughts?

@dphillips it should work, let me double check with slicer you mentioned in your message.

@parry2k - it does work great when in a table or matrix but my issue is I was trying to get this in a standalone card and create a sort of KPI for a student, rather than having a table with all  the students in it. Is this possible?

Thanks again for all your help.

@dphillips are you ok to share pbix instead me recreate everything at my end. Remove any sensitive it contains.

Hey @parry2k . Thanks so much for your help. I duplicated the page I was using, got rid of lots of slicers and filters to try and work out what was goin on and then started afresh on a new page and the card works properly on that page. Went back to the original page and, in the end, just got rid of the card and put a new card in, used the measure and all was fine. Again - thanks for all your help.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.