Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Rank a column in a table based on slicer selection

Here is a sample picture of the report I'm building.

Screenshot_3.png

What I want to do is show the top [selected number] (5/10/50/100) operators ranked by the selected metric, For example if I select Metric1 and top 10 i want the top 10 operators ranked by Metric1. I managed to do the Top N thing and here are the measures I used:

Rank = RANKX(ALL(Table[Operator], Metric1, , DESC, Dense)

SelectedNumber = MIN(TopN[Top])

Show = IF([Rank]<=[SelectedNumber], "<=")

But this is fixed for Metric1 only (I wanted to see if it will work). What I want to do now is change the measure Rank to be dynamic, like this:

Rank = RANKX(ALL(Table[Operator], SelectedMetric, , DESC, Dense) where SelectedMetric=FIRSTNOBLANK(Filters[Name],1).

I have all the metrics names in a different table (Filters). All the metrics and the operator column are in the same source - Table. 

Can anyone please help me? Any ideas would be welcomed.

Thanks 🙂 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

How many metrics are there in your scenario? If they are not too many and there is no a better solution, I would suggest you to use SWITCH function in this case. The formula below is for your reference.

Rank =
VAR SelectedMetric =
    FIRSTNONBLANK ( Filters[Name], 1 )
RETURN
    SWITCH (
        SelectedMetric,
        "Metric1", RANKX ( ALL ( Table[Operator] ), Metric1,, DESC, DENSE ),
        "Metric2", RANKX ( ALL ( Table[Operator] ), Metric2,, DESC, DENSE ),
        "Metric3", RANKX ( ALL ( Table[Operator] ), Metric3,, DESC, DENSE ),
        RANKX ( ALL ( Table[Operator] ), Metric1,, DESC, DENSE )
    )

Regards

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

How many metrics are there in your scenario? If they are not too many and there is no a better solution, I would suggest you to use SWITCH function in this case. The formula below is for your reference.

Rank =
VAR SelectedMetric =
    FIRSTNONBLANK ( Filters[Name], 1 )
RETURN
    SWITCH (
        SelectedMetric,
        "Metric1", RANKX ( ALL ( Table[Operator] ), Metric1,, DESC, DENSE ),
        "Metric2", RANKX ( ALL ( Table[Operator] ), Metric2,, DESC, DENSE ),
        "Metric3", RANKX ( ALL ( Table[Operator] ), Metric3,, DESC, DENSE ),
        RANKX ( ALL ( Table[Operator] ), Metric1,, DESC, DENSE )
    )

Regards

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-ljerr-msft,

I tried this approach, but somehow it's not working. May be am missing something. Could you please provide me wity the link of sample PBIX file with this requirement Rank a column based on slicer selection

Thanks !!

Brilliant solution thank you! 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey @v-ljerr-msft

Since you helped me with my problem can you please look at this, it related to the same thing I was asking.

This is a picture of the same report I wrote about in the post above. I used your Rank measure and it works fine but there's one problem. Since it ranks ALL(Table[Operator]) it gives the following result. 

Screenshot_2.png

The blank rows (there's many more) are actually ALL the operators from my table, and the Rank measure just ranks the Top selected (in this case 10). How can I fix it to only ranking the Top (5/10/50/100) and not all operators? I currently have those blank rows hidden but I doesn't look nice since my rank begins from 2 instead of 1.

Can you please help me with this? 

Thank you!

Hi @Anonymous,

According to your description, you should be able to use TOPN Function (DAX) within RANKX function to only rank Top (5/10/50/100) and instead of all operators in this scenario.

RANKX ( TOPN ( 5, Table, orderBy_expression ), Metric1,, DESC, DENSE )

Regards

Anonymous
Not applicable

I fixed in a bit different way, with adding a condition if the metric is blank then rank it else blank.

Thanks anyway

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you @v-ljerr-msft!!

This worked just fine because I only have 6 metrics and it's much simpler than what I had in mind.  🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.