Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kcummins
Frequent Visitor

Range and Values in Cell, How to Expand?

Hello,
I have a table and one column contains cells that each have a list of text within them. These lists contain both values and value ranges, together as a single text string (so not an actual PQM "List"). I want to turn this into a column of all the contained values, also as a text string. For example:

Cell in Column                                             Cell in NewColumn

124, 204-206, 237, 254-258, 373     --->     124, 204, 205, 206, 237, 254, 255, 256, 257, 258, 373

I tried several variations of NewColumn = { [Column] } but haven't been able to make anything work. It's easy enough to replace the "-" to "..", but I can't seem to get the list brackets to read the Column reference as an actual input.

Thank you so much for the help, I feel like I've been dancing around the solution for hours!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @kcummins 

if you want to add a column with the transformed table instead of transforming the existing column, you can use the following code:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjQy0VEwMjDRNTIwAzKMzYGEKZBnaqGjYGxurBQbCwA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Column1 = _t]),
    SplitByComma = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Custom", each Text.Split([Column1], ", ")),
    SplitRanges = Table.AddColumn(SplitByComma, "Custom.1", each List.Transform([Custom], (x) => Text.Split(x, "-"))),
    CreateListsFromAllElements = Table.AddColumn(SplitRanges, "Custom.2", each List.Combine( List.Transform([Custom.1], (x) => {Number.From(List.Min(x))..Number.From(List.Max(x))}))),
    TransformBackToTextAndCombine = Table.AddColumn(CreateListsFromAllElements, "Custom.3", each Text.Combine(List.Transform([Custom.2], Text.From), ", "))
in
    TransformBackToTextAndCombine

Paste this code into the advanced editor and follow the steps. 

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @kcummins ,

Please refer to the M code as below.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjQy0VEwMjDRNTIwAzKMzYGEKZBnaqGjYGxurBQbCwA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Column1 = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Column1", type text}}),
    #"Split Column by Delimiter" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Changed Type", "Column1", Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter(",", QuoteStyle.Csv), {"Column1.1", "Column1.2", "Column1.3", "Column1.4", "Column1.5"}),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Split Column by Delimiter",{{"Column1.1", Int64.Type}, {"Column1.2", type text}, {"Column1.3", Int64.Type}, {"Column1.4", type text}, {"Column1.5", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Transposed Table" = Table.Transpose(#"Changed Type1"),
    #"Split Column by Delimiter1" = Table.SplitColumn(Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Transposed Table", {{"Column1", type text}}, "en-US"), "Column1", Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter("-", QuoteStyle.Csv), {"Column1.1", "Column1.2"}),
    #"Changed Type2" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Split Column by Delimiter1",{{"Column1.2", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type2", "Custom", each if[Column1.2] = null then [Column1.1] else [Column1.2]),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Added Custom",{"Column1.2"}),
    #"Changed Type3" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Removed Columns",{{"Custom", Int64.Type}, {"Column1.1", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type3", "Custom.1", each List.Numbers([Column1.1],[Custom]-[Column1.1]+1)),
    #"Expanded Custom.1" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Added Custom1", "Custom.1"),
    #"Removed Columns1" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Expanded Custom.1",{"Column1.1", "Custom"}),
    #"Added Custom2" = Table.AddColumn(#"Removed Columns1", "Custom", each 1),
    #"g" = Table.Group(#"Added Custom2", {"Custom"}, {{"Custom.1", each Text.Combine(List.Transform([Custom.1], (x) => Number.ToText(x)), ","), type text}}),
    #"Removed Columns2" = Table.RemoveColumns(g,{"Custom"})
in
    #"Removed Columns2"

2222.PNG

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

Hi @kcummins 

if you want to add a column with the transformed table instead of transforming the existing column, you can use the following code:

let
    SplitByComma = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Custom", each Text.Split([Column1], ", ")),
    SplitRanges = Table.AddColumn(SplitByComma, "Custom.1", each List.Transform([Custom], (x) => Text.Split(x, "-"))),
    CreateListsFromAllElements = Table.AddColumn(SplitRanges, "Custom.2", each List.Combine( List.Transform([Custom.1], (x) => {Number.From(List.Min(x))..Number.From(List.Max(x))}))),
    TransformBackToTextAndCombine = Table.AddColumn(CreateListsFromAllElements, "Custom.3", each Text.Combine(List.Transform([Custom.2], Text.From), ", "))
in
    TransformBackToTextAndCombine

Paste this code into the advanced editor and follow the steps. 

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@ImkeF , Can you help

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.