Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

lglglg_
Advocate I
Advocate I

Ragged Hierarchy in Direct Query Mode

Hi,

I have been trying to create a matrix visual containing a ragged hierarchy. I managed to get the matrix to display the way I wanted it in import mode, using the PATH function and creating the hierarchy step by step. However, my actual visualization should be done in DirectQuery Mode and the PATH function is not supported in DirectQuery. Does anyone know of a way to do a ragged hierarchy in Direct Query? For the moment, it either gives me the same "child value" for Parents that don't have childs, or displays an empty line below the childless Parents. 

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I actually found the solution to this on another post!

See @Anonymous 's solution in the link below:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Ragged-hierarchy-Visualization/td-p/162892

Thanks!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @lglglg_ ,

If your trying to build a matrix visualization in PBI with ragged hierarchies, you may also want to try formatting your matrix to have the expand, "+", icon to drill down on each row level. having the expand button will let display only the parents and children you want to show. In this way, you can prevent showing blank or repeating children for any given parent.

To get the expand icon on your rows, go to the formatting paintbrush, and search "+".  the '+/- icons' should appear.  turn this option on.

Hope this helps, Power on!

v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @lglglg_ ,

As we know PATH function  is not supported for use in DirectQuery mode. In your scenario, we can use mixed mode to work on it. Please check the online document as below. 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-storage-mode

Regards,

Frank

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

Unfortunately, I cannot use the mixed mode for my work as my organization requires the use of DirectQuery for security purposes. 

I actually found the solution to this on another post!

See @Anonymous 's solution in the link below:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Ragged-hierarchy-Visualization/td-p/162892

Thanks!

Hi @lglglg_ ,

Does that make sense? If so, kindly mark my answer as the solution to close the case please. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Frank

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.