Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

eminkoff
Regular Visitor

Radar chart - doesnt work

Hello.

I've installed custom visual from the gallery called "Radar Chart" and for some reason cant get it to work the way I need it.

My data looks like this:

Criteria1     Criteria2

EmployeeName        Mark/Number

Example:

Toys Sales    Appliances Sales

John Smith         5                            3

Excel generates radar chart with that data without a hassle, but not the power bi.

When I add criterias data it fills out radar entirely for every criteria.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
WillT
Community Admin
Community Admin

Hi there! Power BI works best with column-based data, so you want it in this sort of format:

EmployeeName  Criteria          Mark

John Smith    Toys Sales        5

John Smith    Appliances Sales  3

In Query Editor there's a great 'Unpivot' function that will help you out. Here's a guide for Power Pivot but the principle is the same:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Unpivot-columns-Power-Query-0f7bad4b-9ea1-49c1-9d95-f588221...  

Hope that helps!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
WillT
Community Admin
Community Admin

Hi there! Power BI works best with column-based data, so you want it in this sort of format:

EmployeeName  Criteria          Mark

John Smith    Toys Sales        5

John Smith    Appliances Sales  3

In Query Editor there's a great 'Unpivot' function that will help you out. Here's a guide for Power Pivot but the principle is the same:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Unpivot-columns-Power-Query-0f7bad4b-9ea1-49c1-9d95-f588221...  

Hope that helps!

I got it to work by the method suggested by @WillT. This technique is nothing I like though, I've never needed to use it for other chart types.

Also this chart type becomes quite useless when it doesn't seem possible to set different max values for different axes, forcing me to normalize to get an acceptable look for the chart (but then the values are difficult to understand instead).

For powerbi desktop, it doesn't .

Compare 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRX4tmflYGg&feature=youtu.be

and the actual when you install.

Categories is here,

Y-axis is there

Values are missing.

Please advise

Same here. On desktop version the radar visual is not working cause the values field is missing. Without this, this visual is useless. Could you pls update it ASAP?

The visual does work

You need to assign the fields (or preferably measures) that contain the values to the Y axis then assign the field that identifies your categories to the categories section

Radar.gif

I am using power bi desktop and what you have proposed does not seem to work for me.

I am unable to assign data to the y axis before assigning data to the category. When assigning category first and y-axis second no data is plotted.

What data format are you using? I have tried multiple formats and am still unable to.

Are you using something like the following?

Category    Awards     Proposals

EU Gov         1                  3

Uk industry    0                 0

UK Gov         1                 2

UK Charity     0                 1

I have created max and min measures so that way I have fixed the y axis. Then it works.

itchyeyeballs
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@AJCS Awards and proposals are measures, my data is structured like willt suggested with a single column for values as it gives most flexibility. 

@gusly visualisations can usually be made to work with any structure but the suggested format is what most on line references I have seen suggest. I agree about the issues with the visualisation though, it only works in very specific circumstances when all the categories are closley related otherwise the ranges dont work and the shaded areas mean very little

Thanks for the reply. I think I may have another issue as I have tried all these approaches and the chart still won't render in Power BI Desktop.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.