Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

MitieFred
Helper V
Helper V

Radar/Spider chart

We are trying to create a Radar/Spider chart based on Enterprise data from MS Project.  We have created 7 fields against each project entry with values ranging from 0-4.

The resulting chart will then be used on a slicer based review page for each project.

We have found and downloaded the 3 available radar visuals, see PBIX <here>.  However the only one that gives us the traditional radar chart is shown in Radar 1, but that has the drawback of being based on data that has been transposed, so instead of categories against each project (Sheet1 in the Excel file <here>) it is projects against each category (Sheet2).  Given that we have an ever growing portfolio of projects but a fixed set of 7 categories, this, from what we can see, does not work.  Also, we are struggling to get a project name based slicer to cope with the data in that setup.

We would like to end up with Radar 1 based on data in Sheet1, so we can use a slicer to show data for that project, including the radar.

I have seen a number of posts relating to radar charts but none with a solution that would resolve the project/category problem we are experiencing

Please can someone provide, or at least point in the direction of, a solution

Thanks and regards

Fred

4 REPLIES 4
v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @MitieFred ,

Sorry , still can't get the files.😅

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin

Hi Eyelin Qin,

Not sure how to get around the access problem, but thanks for your time on this.

However, in the meanwhile, I have sort of found a solution to the problem.  Using the Radar pbix from MAQ, I found that, to get a correctly displaying radar chart, I needed to supply 2 entries as values, the first is my actual data and the second containing the maximum values for each category, #2 below.  If it's not done that way, the chart treats each value as the maximum for that category #1, I then changed the plot colour for the maximums to match the background so it is hidden, #3.

all as maximumall as maximum

additional fields with maximums setadditional fields with maximums set

maximums hidden by setting the plot colourmaximums hidden by setting the plot colour

Not ideal, but it gives the desired result.

Now my next challenge is to find a way to get a slicer to have the dummy project, with my maximum set of values, as a permanent entry and allow me to pick the actual project I need to display for.

Thanks again

Regards

Fred

v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @MitieFred ,

I could not access to neither the pbix file nor the excel file.

could not access.PNG

Please refer to this blog on how to provide sample data: How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum - Microsoft Power BI Community

For more information , please take a look at this:https://blog.pragmaticworks.com/power-bi-custom-visuals-radar-chart

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Revised links to files on Onedrive -

Regards

Fred

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.