Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

RLS

I have a table called SETUP that looks as follows:

RLS Doubt 1.PNG 

I create an RLS for this table as follows:

RLS Doubt 2.PNG

This is a sample of how the data looks. My doubts are

1) If I have 8000 email address like this, do I need to add each of them under Dataset -> Security -> (Here I add email address) [in Power BI Server]? Is there an easier way?

2) Even if i have to give a group name instead of individual IDS, I need to type in the 8000 records?

3) And given the fact that RLS works after giving the email address/group name under Dataset -> Security (In the server side), the concept i need is that when the user name is removed from this SETUP Table, that means he no longer has any access. But since we require these names to first be added to the workspace, now instead of restricted access to the data, he ends up getting the entire access when removed from the SETUP table, because he is a member of the workspace.

Are these areas to be improved or are there solutions to this? Thank You!

2 REPLIES 2
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

1) If I have 8000 email address like this, do I need to add each of them under Dataset -> Security -> (Here I add email address) [in Power BI Server]? Is there an easier way?

2) Even if i have to give a group name instead of individual IDS, I need to type in the 8000 records?

You can add a member to the role by typing in the email address, or name, of the user, security group or distribution list you want to add. Here, security group means Office 365 security group. Please contact with Office 365 administrator to create security group for these 8000 members. This way, you don't need to type 500 email addresses to the role, just type security group.

3) And given the fact that RLS works after giving the email address/group name under Dataset -> Security (In the server side), the concept i need is that when the user name is removed from this SETUP Table, that means he no longer has any access. But since we require these names to first be added to the workspace, now instead of restricted access to the data, he ends up getting the entire access when removed from the SETUP table, because he is a member of the workspace.

Based on my test, if the user is removed from the role, he won't have access to that report data.

1.PNG

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-yulgu-msft Hey the second part worked, it does not display. But I did not understand the first part.

DOes that security group mean that I have to input all records myself? And what if a few people are added to that SETUP Table? I will not be able to keet track of that SETUP Table (Which is from ODS) each time right?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.