Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Chanleakna123
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

RLS ( with a hundred users )

hi , i have around 100 users difined by Admin( Can see all the pages in the report ) , Area Sales Manager ( Can see only their region ) . My purpose is to define each users to see only what i set , so i will use RLS , 

but currently , i'm facing issue : i have to set up 1 by 1 of each email address , for 100 users , i think this is not a solution. 

Do i have any calculation to get into relationship and then set it all in once ? 

I have a table of : 

*Name :

*Email :

*Defined level RLS : Admin or Area Sales Manager

how to set it all up it once ? 

Another question : for those who are not in the list such as CEO ,  i only share her the access email , can she see all of the data instead using the table defined by RLS ? 

thx 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Chanleakna123 ,

If you are a Office 365 global administration, you could create new groups in the Groups page of Microsoft 365 admin center and then add the users into it. 

Here are some documents that you may need :

Add or remove members from Office 365 groups using the admin center

Compare groups

Create and manage distribution groups

Create, edit, or delete a security group in the Microsoft 365 admin center

For your second question, if you don't give her the workspace access or you just grant her a viewer, she will get error messages in all the visuals like the pic below.  

3.PNG

When users can edit content in the workspace (the corresponding roles are admin, member and contributor), they will see all the data which is set RLS.   For roles in the workspaces, you could reference the document : https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-new-workspaces#roles-in-the-new-workspaces

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. Kudos are nice too.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know too much about RLS - but I'm sure you can apply 'user groups' rather than individuals. Sounds like you already have these defined.

hi @Anonymous , hi how can i set up for users group ? 

how to successfully do this ? right now i do it one by one email . i think this is not a solution. 

thanks with Regards, 
Leakna 

Anonymous
Not applicable

within the same place you add individual email addresses you can also add group details

Capture.JPG

hi , Add group in Email ? if we add the name , it doesn't recognize the email. except add one by one email. based on my understanding 
i am sorry , i didn't get you. can you please explain more. 

thanks with Regards, 
Leakna Hang 

Anonymous
Not applicable

when you create a group, they usually have an associated email address that you can use.

So if you've created an group "Team2" and added 100 users, you can simply add "Team2" to your RLS to allow everyone within that group to access.

Hi . Can u show me the sample ?

Hi @Chanleakna123 ,

If you are a Office 365 global administration, you could create new groups in the Groups page of Microsoft 365 admin center and then add the users into it. 

Here are some documents that you may need :

Add or remove members from Office 365 groups using the admin center

Compare groups

Create and manage distribution groups

Create, edit, or delete a security group in the Microsoft 365 admin center

For your second question, if you don't give her the workspace access or you just grant her a viewer, she will get error messages in all the visuals like the pic below.  

3.PNG

When users can edit content in the workspace (the corresponding roles are admin, member and contributor), they will see all the data which is set RLS.   For roles in the workspaces, you could reference the document : https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-new-workspaces#roles-in-the-new-workspaces

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. Kudos are nice too.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

You can use any email or Active Directory grouping of people.  For example, you can use IT@yourcompany.com to add all IT people to the role, if you have distribution groups like that.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.